How much chain between anchor and rode

Sea Mitch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had to cut my anchor last week because I couldn't get it to release. I really never paid much attention to it. It was a Danforth with a section of coated chain and about 150ft of line. I went to West Marine and bought one of those anchor kits that came with a 13# anchor, 200 ft of line, shackles, and 15ft of chain. The chain is marking up the boat and I'm afraid it's gonna crack the gel coat. The original chain wasn't as long (this one's 15 ft) and had some kind of thick white coating on it. I searched around and found two types of coating, Polymer and Vinyl. I'm not sure what I had originally. At Boaters World, they have precut vinyl chain at 5ft 5/16" but it seems more clumsy and thicker than my original. The have polymer coated, but it doesn't seem as soft and safe as the vinyl, it can be cut to any length. My question is which is better and how long does it really have to be to set the anchor. My boat is a '93 Grady White 232 Gulfstream, if anyone knows what it came with, that would be great!

DustyJacket

Seaman
Re: How much chain between anchor and rode

the "convention" is half the boat length in chain, but I use the 5-foot (+) coated chain on my 18-footer. I think in the smaller weight boats it might be less critical. (I use a coated "Navy" anchor, about 20 or 25 pounds, for mud and/or rocky conditions.)

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use 10 feet of 5/16" galvanized chain on each of our anchors (Fortress FX-7 and FX-11), the boat is a 23' walk-around. Those anchors are aluminum and quite light, I doubt that without the chain they would set at all. That coated chain that they sell is normally just proof chain made of mild steel. I think you will find that they coating chips quickly and the chain will rust on you (leaving stains in the gel coat where it touches). The Galvanized chain only runs about $2 a foot, so I can replace it now and then without any great expense - cheaper than cleaning materials used to get rid of rust stains if I don't replace it.<br /><br />Thom

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

I have a curious question. If the main purpose of the chain is to add weight to ensure the anchor lays over to grab and set, and to act as a cushion from the boat pulling on the anchor, couldn't a sinker of appropriate weight tied a distance away from the anchor serve the same purpose?

18rabbit

Captain

Both DustyJacket and Thom have it nailed. It is the chain and its scope that sets the anchor, not the scope of the twisted nylon line. See my posting at the bottom of this thread:<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=010089 <br /><br />One additional note: from what I have read, vinyl coated chain is easier on the surfaces the chain comes in contact with but it is not as flexible (usually not a problem) and will eventually allow water under the vinyl coating (possible serious problem) where it is held against the metal chain promoting a more rapid corrosion. Also, you cannot see any corrosion due to the vinyl coating. These coated chains are not recommended but I don’t see how there could be much of a problem if used infrequently. I don't use them, however, I would take my chances with one if they made a 3/8-in vinyl coated chain in a colorfast neon pink… :)

Sea Mitch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! Maybe I'll just stay with the galvanized chain that came with the kit. I bet that's why I lost the anchor in the first place. I probably had about 4-5ft of coated chain and it didn't set properly so the current dragged it and hooked it on something on the bottom (it was about 40ft down). Has anybody experienced any problems with the chain cracking the gel coat?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I have two anchors on board a fortress FX-7 with 3 foot of 1/4 inch chain and a 8 pound dansforth with 5 feet of chain. I used both anchor in currents up to 4.6 knots and never had either anchore break loose.<br /><br />Many boater here have no chain and it still works.<br /><br />If your going to anchore offshore durning a big storm then your probably nead chain. The Chain will allow you to use a shorter scope in good calm conditions. It will hold the anchor shank down and help the anchor dig in. In rocky areas it will prevent the rocks near the anchore from cutting your anchor line.<br /><br />Try it with out the chain in your area on one anchor and see how it works.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by gspig:<br /> I have a curious question. If the main purpose of the chain is to add weight to ensure the anchor lays over to grab and set, and to act as a cushion from the boat pulling on the anchor, couldn't a sinker of appropriate weight tied a distance away from the anchor serve the same purpose?
You could use a mushroom anchor 10 feet up, but the other main purpose is rope will scrape on the bottom, chafe, and break...hence the chain. Way too many variables here. Tides, weather, inland, sea, bottom rocky or sandy or mud. Drive ya nuts.