fortress anchors

jmc830

Cadet
has anyone used a fortress anchor looking to buy a good holding anchor for anchoring in inlets have a 24 foot boat should i stay with a heavy dansforth or spend the money on a light fortress they claim half the weight twice the holding force

18rabbit

Captain
Re: fortress anchors

The claim is not something invented by Fortress. Powerboat Reports does regular, extensive testing of setting, re-setting, and holding of anchors in various substrates. Fortress is one of the best all around anchors you can buy. That ugly critter, Bulwagga is another anchor that rated very highly. The absolute best anchor to use varies depending on the substrate. If you were to carry just one anchor either the Fortress of the Bulwagga would an excellent choice.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have two Fortress anchors, the main one (attached to 600' of 3/8" 3-strand) is an FX-11 and the backup, which has its own spool of 200' of 3/8", is an FX-7. They are indeed very light anchors. Some guys claim they 'float' and are hard to set. I don't use an anchor very often at all, but when I have the Fortress' have worked just fine for us. Our boat is 23' and is much effected by current and wind.<br /><br />I bent one of mine when we bumpted into a pileing (the anchor was firmly held up on the pulpit at the time). A quick phone call to Fortress had me a replacement part in the mail the next morning - they are guaranteed forever.<br /><br />Oh, I'm using 10 feet of 5/16" galvanized chain on both of mine. Maybe that's why they don't "float".<br /><br />Thom

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with Thom. A chain leader is needed on the Fortress anchors. They work well and are definitely easier to handle. I use mine as a second anchor because I have a windlass for the primary, so the weight isn't an issue up there.

BillP

Captain

I used a Fortress on a 42' x 24,000lb sailboat. Like already mentioned, they are harder to set than Danforths. When they do hit the bottom there isn't enough weight to push down any grass or debris that a heavier steel fluke will. I doubled the chain length to make up for the poor initial setting. That was more hassle than the weight savings on the anchor. The lightweight part was nice but the aggrevation of setting the hook wasn't. I wouldn't recommend one unless you can't lift a Danforth to do the job.

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

In my experience with both sailboats and powerboats, an excellent anchor is the "claw" or "Bruce" anchor. It always reaches the bottom with the claws down, which dig in well, and it will re-set itself should the wind or current change while at anchor. It is a little bulky to store though. I highly recommend it.

18rabbit

Captain

Many boaters do not have an appropriate length of chain on their anchoring system. Put me in that category…that’s where the party is. :) I forget the recommendations, something like ½ your boat’s length or equal to the weight of the anchor and nylon portion of the rode combined. If someone has a Chapman’s they can look it up and let us know. I just remember I was short on the recommended chain length.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I carry a fortress FX7 4 pound anchor and a Danfort 8 pound anchor. My wife does not like to drive the boat to retreive the anchore when it is foggy, long story. So the wife often must pull the anchor while I drive. She had so much trouble lifting the 8 pound anchor that we got the Fortress 4 pound FX7. This anchor is the best anchor I have ever owned. I only have 3 feet of chain on it but it still sets faster and deeper than the old 8 pound anchor. The blades are sharp and it diggs in fast.<br /><br />Yes it will float longer than the heaver anchor.<br />You can not pull up to your postion and slam the boat in reverse and lower the anchor while making stern way. We find our spot put motor in reverse for just a bit then back to netural and lower the anchor until it hit bottom then put back in reverse and pay out the proper scope. The anchor digs in fast and deep. One lake that we often go to has a very hard bottom, with the old 8 pound anchor it would drag a long time before it would dig in. The Fortress has less chain to make it eaiser for the wife to pull but it still diggs in faster.