Mounting Bracket for Bimini top Pulled out of FG

1Moredrift

Seaman Apprentice
The mounting bracked on my bimini top pulled the screws out of the fiberglass on my 24 ft Grady White Offshore. Should I use west system to fill the holes and then predrill and screw the bracked back on, or should I use 5200 or some other materila and go right back into the oversized screw. <br /><br />I am hoping to get this repair made between Saturday evening and Sunday morning (fill holes on Saturday, drill and refasted on Sunday and go fishing sunday).<br /><br />Thanks for any advice.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Mounting Bracket for Bimini top Pulled out of FG

Use marine epoxy... walmart sells a 2 part stick that you cut off a chunk and squish together to mix. I have re-installed and filled many (outrigger holes etc)holes with it. Fast and cheap. Consider the permancy of the bimini top and fill the hole with the screw in there without any weight load. Let it harden overnight and put the top back into service.<br /><br />If you have had this problem before I would consider a slightly larger stainless screw to increase the holding power.<br /><br />Bob

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Mounting Bracket for Bimini top Pulled out of FG

For a quick fix ,they make a plastic insert to go into the hole and use the same screw and as it goes in it will expand and get tight.After the wqeekend you can take it apart and fix it right.Then again,I used the insert three years ago and its still there.Charlie