row boat seat lumber

Mister Howell

Recruit
I just purchased a small row boat that needs new wooden seats; any thoughts on a lumber species to use? And a finish??<br /><br />Thanks!

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: row boat seat lumber

Hi Mister Howell,<br /><br />Most boats use teak wood for seats. If you can't find that, marine grade ply will work.<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />Josh

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

MSI, what do you know about this stuff. There are no details re strength, weight, adhesion to epoxy resin, cost etc.<br /><br />Is it suitable for flooring replacement?

Link

Rear Admiral

Hi Mister Howell<br />Welcome to IBOATS and this will most likely get moved to project boats and backyard building so look there :) <br /><br />If the seats are to be fiberglassed in or covered with paint AC exterior plywood should work just fine also. <br />People here will need to know a little more about your project.<br /><br />(see guys no remarks about MaryAnne or Ginger) ;) <br /><br />Boomyal <br /> http://www.tacomarine.com/support/Starboard/handling_starboard.htm

Captn Dave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Depending on how much you want to spend.<br />Mahogany would be the first choice if you were going to paint or polyurethane the seats.<br />Starboard is expensive but you'll never have to worry about maintenance.<br />Glassing over marine grade plywood would be the least expensive.

rnsi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haven't used star board yet, but I did talk to Taco about it. They said treat it like you would plywood. Use wood tools - drils and saws. Don't try to go a long unsupported span - just like ply. Thing is, it will never rot. I'll be using it to rebuild my seat bottoms and backs this off-season. If you're not looking for that wood grain look, I'd use this.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?keywords=starboard