Match Outboard HP to Boat

HarvMan

Cadet
I am looking for information on how to evaluate what the maximum (and safe) outboard HP rating for a given boat should be. True, manufacturers typically have a plate affixed to the boat. I recently acquired a 1960's-something 14' fibreglass boat, but I can't read the plate markings. It has a 1975 Mercury 65 HP outboard motor, and it just flies!<br /><br />Does anyone have further information on this subject?<br /><br />Thanks.

Zac

Cadet
Re: Match Outboard HP to Boat

I also just bought a 13foot 6in fiberglass boat from 1969 with a 65hp engine for 250 dollars. Its called a starfire the plate on it says the max amount of hp is 75. I dont know what will happen if it has more than that but I plan on souping up my engine over that amount because it cant be that bad. Oh other things it says on the plate is you can only have 5 people on that weigh 150lbs each or u can have 1150 pounds on the empty hull.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Match Outboard HP to Boat

There is a document put out by the US Coast Guard for "home builders" to determine max HP for a boat. Search the archives here as I've seen a link to an on-line version referenced before. I think that it is on a duck hunters boat building web page. I can think of at least 3 considerations for not overpowering:<br />1. Too heavy in rear end<br />2. Possible transom damage from torque<br />3. Fines, law suits, and dropped insurance if involved in an accident<br /><br />BL...