Smart Tabs or Bennett/Lenco

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The performance benefits sound nice, but which would be better to adjust for listing due to an unbalanced load?

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner
Re: Smart Tabs or Bennett/Lenco

Originally posted by nautiJohn:<br /> We manufacture Smart Tabs just so you understand and can weigh the comments we make. <br /><br />First it depends on the size and use of the craft. <br />However lets make some assumptions: The boat is 26 feet long, deep V hull, cuddy cabin, a 9 ft beam, with a 240 HP I/O, and weighs 4500 lbs. wet without passengers or gear. The boat is used for longer cruising and over night trips, off Shore. Our recommendation is use helm controlled Trim Tabs at least 18" wide by 9" deep. We do not make Trim Tabs for this market.<br /><br />Let's make the second assumption: <br />The boat is 20 feet long, 7.5" wide, with a 210HP I/O, open bow, weighing in at 2700 Lbs. It is used for cruising the lakes, pulling skiers and tubes, and some fishing. We would recommend Smart Tabs ST1290-80. They should handle the average load balance issues in any boat this size. If the list was permanent, such as a torque list or Kicker motor installation, the Smart Tabs can be adjusted independently to compensate for the list. If you have more radical correction needs we would need to know the details before recommending either type.<br /><br />What you give up in a smaller boat situation when moving to helm controlled tabs is the following:<br />1) convenience and safety on an automatic system<br />2) an active system that not only provided an improved ride and better handling, but unmatched tracking at both low and high speeds. <br /><br />We will leave price out of the picture at this time as it was not part of the question which is related to peformance only.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

rboat99,<br /><br />Of course like John I am biased since I work for Bennett Marine. We feel that remotely adjustable Trim Tabs give much more control over passenger and gear loading in all size boats, particularly smaller boats where the weight of passengers, coolers and gear make up a much larger percentage of weight and have a much more profound impact on boat trim then on a larger boat. I am a big guy, but when I walk aground on a Viking 65 my weight does not really impact the boat’s trim. However when I run a 16 foot flats skiff my weigh has a big impact on the boat’s trim. And the way I load the boat is never the same, even on the same short trip. My wife and daughters like to move around depending on the sun spray, and or view. I might have a cooler full of ice on one side one day, and my equally heavy buddy fishing with me the next day. Yes they do cost more and take a bit more time to install, but for me on a small boat the ability to correct for weight distribution on the boat on the fly is the best way to meet the changing conditions and get the best out of the boat. Remotely adjustable Trim Tabs do not take constant adjustment and trimming both the fore and aft and side to side adjustment to meet the current conditions is invaluable. If the boat is stern heavy I can dial in lots of Tab for a great hole shot and running with my daughters riding up in the bow I can keep the bow where I want it in a following sea or at any speed. Just like aircraft have remotely adjustable flaps for different conditions so should boats. <br /><br />Again I am biased too! I will leave the Bennett vs. Lenco question up to others to help you with as me talking about that would be too much like spam!<br /><br />I will be delighted to help with any questions you might have regarding remotely adjusted Trim Tabs.<br /><br />Tom McGow<br />Bennett Marine

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, just to be more specific I have a 20' cuddy cabin with a v-hull (not sure I would consider it a deep v). It is an older boat so it has a heave hull, and I was told when I bought it that the boat comes in close to 4000 lbs. fueled and loaded. Even with just me and my wife <br /><br />I find that the boat has a list to the port side, usually my wife has to position herself behind me while underway to correct for this.<br /><br />I use the boat for fishing and leisure mostly in the gulf and usually stay about 5 miles offshore, occasionally venturing out 20 to 25 miles offshore.<br /><br />Since I do not have a livewell built into the boat I thought of converting one of the fishboxes that are located on either side of the cockpit. These boxes will hold 15-20 gallons of water, and I was hoping to only use one most of the time, but I know this would add to my listing woes. That's when I considered trim tabs of some kind.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

rboat,<br /><br />I have an old Aquasport 20' Walkaround, fishbox on one side, small built in cooler on the other side. Depending on if the fish box is full of ice and water and cooler is empty or visa versa I can trim out the difference in list with the Tabs. My wife likes the fact that I do not have to tell her where to sit! Adds to domestic tranquility ;) <br /><br />Also being able to hold my bow down in a chop makes the boat ride much nicer. This is more from a boat owner's standpoint then my professional role at Bennett :D <br /><br />Tom McGow<br />Bennett Marine

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Your list to port is most likely caused by the prop torque. This is a permanent list issue and can be corrected by Smart Tabs by preloading the port side with more pressure. If the list is not permanent, then you would leave the Smart Tabs adjusted equally, and the correction is more than you would think but not controled from the helm. <br />Tom and I do not disagree as much as it may seem, the choice is a matter of preference and your use.<br /><br />By the way, it is always nice to know how to keep your wife happy - it should be part of the instruction manual with all trim tab companies. Lord knows we need the help!

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"and the correction is more than you would think but not controled from the helm."<br /><br />Nauti, what do you mean by this?

D

DJ

rboat99,<br /><br />You have heard opinions/suggestions from two true experts. (Nautijohn and Tabman) Their knowledge and customer service is nothing short of superb.<br /><br />The Lenco option would not enter my decision making process. Not with the service Bennett and Smart Tabs provide.<br /><br />You will have to make your own decision here. <br /><br />You've seen advice from the best.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

rboat99;<br /><br />When cruising the Smart Tabs are "up" however they are still under a load similar to the suspension system on your car. If you load one side of the car with enough weight then it will ride lower on that side. However with three people in your car (two on one side and one on the other, you may not notice the list. With helm controlled tabs (ie; Bennett) you can level out even the heavey load balance problems. You need to evaluate your needs, and make the determination.<br /><br />DJ; <br /><br />Thank you for the compliment, and I am flattered that you would put Nauticus in the same class as a very fine company with many years of good customer service. We do Try!

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, I got it now.<br /><br />DJ, do you have a problem with the Lenco product or the support? I have heard very good things about Bennet support on this site and others and I am just learning about Smart Tabs. But I would be interested in why you would not consider the Lenco's.<br /><br />Anyone?

vidar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i like them.....fine tabs..and fast enough for me.... i need them fast....and just wires... no pump and reservoar...

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. A buddy of mine said he didn't get the Bennetts because he would have to relocate his dive deck to mount the reservoir, I may be in a similar situation.

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

I can't speak to the other brands, but Bennetts came standard on my 23' Striper...I have nothing but the highest praise for the advise I've been given by Tom in response to a couple of really stupid questions..... :rolleyes: <br />I do wish Seaswirl had stepped up and installed a larger size, but I presume that was OMC's decision, not Bennett's. Someday, I'll get them and Tom will be the subject of some new dumb questions.<br />As an aside, I don't understand the problem with installation of a reservoir....they're smaller than a loaf of bread, and shouldn't take up too much room in any boat.

D

DJ

rboat,<br /><br />I tend to buy products based upon word of mouth and customer service. <br /><br />I have seen the customer service of both products spoken of here. I have also heard of the succeses of both here. As I said, the support, of both, is nothing short of outstanding.<br /><br />Price is most often a very small part of my buying decision process. For some, it's everything.<br /><br />I wanted to make sure you understood the difference between a product that works automatically (Nauticas Smart Tabs) and another that requires operator input (Bennett)

Boatist

Rear Admiral

RBoat99<br />I have a 1980 21 foot Crestliner runabout closed bow that weights 2800lb dry. One year after I got the boat I installed Bennett trim tabs and I love them. I boat offshore alot and my boat would alway lean into the wind. When it would lean into the wind spray from swells and chop would come off the upwind side of the boat and be thrown up into the air. The wind would then blow it back all over the stern of the boat. With the bennett trim tabs I simply level the boat. The spray then comes off the bottom of the boat instead of the side. The spray is thrown out to the side not up into the air. By the time the wind blows it back to the boat the boat is gone and the stern of the boat stays dry.<br /><br />The tabs make my boat ride like a 24 footer. Some days with big swells but light chop I use very little trim. another day with big chop I use lots of trim. Anytime with a big following sea I use no trim at all as trim in these conditions can get you in big trouble.<br /><br />In lakes and rivers I offten will use very little trim for better speed and fuel mileage but when a boat crosses ahead of me I just add a little trim to get the deep V of the bow to cut the wave. After crossing take it right back off.<br /><br />In short with adjustable tabs you can control your boats trim at any speed and sea condition. I adjust for the best ride. I will never own a boat that does not have adjustable trim tabs. They are the best thing I have added to my boat. The Power unit that came with my trim tabs is pretty small and the hoses were long enough I could have mounted it almost anywhere.<br /><br />Last I have had a lot of fun with new Lady on my boat and also friends. Once everyone gets on board and we get under way I will adjust trim so the new Lady side is low. Sometimes I will ask how much do you weigh and explain her side is low. Then I will have her switch sides with the big fat guy and ofcourse while the switch is being made I will trim the boat to make her side low again. Just one thing make sure no guns or baseball bats in reach when you tell her she has been had.<br /><br />My bennett tab came with a single joystick control but I later switched to dual rocker switch control that I like better. Only bad thing I can say about bennett is they cost more. I belive that they are worth much more. If you have followed the problems people have had you would think bennett tabs had a lifetime warranty. First they will help troubleshoot the problem and then most offten supply the part for free. Mine have not had a problem in 24 years. <br /><br />Smart tabs also have their place and many love them. They will lower your bow and get you on plane quicker and for many that is all they want and they shoud buy the smart tabs. Myself I love having full control of my boat in any condition or speed.

BillP

Captain

Originally posted by Tabman:<br /> rboat99,<br /><br />Of course like John I am biased since I work for Bennett Marine. We feel that remotely adjustable Trim Tabs give much more control over passenger and gear loading in all size boats, particularly smaller boats where the weight of passengers, coolers and gear make up a much larger percentage of weight and have a much more profound impact on boat trim then on a larger boat. I am a big guy, but when I walk aground on a Viking 65 my weight does not really impact the boat’s trim. However when I run a 16 foot flats skiff my weigh has a big impact on the boat’s trim. And the way I load the boat is never the same, even on the same short trip. My wife and daughters like to move around depending on the sun spray, and or view. I might have a cooler full of ice on one side one day, and my equally heavy buddy fishing with me the next day. Yes they do cost more and take a bit more time to install, but for me on a small boat the ability to correct for weight distribution on the boat on the fly is the best way to meet the changing conditions and get the best out of the boat. Remotely adjustable Trim Tabs do not take constant adjustment and trimming both the fore and aft and side to side adjustment to meet the current conditions is invaluable. If the boat is stern heavy I can dial in lots of Tab for a great hole shot and running with my daughters riding up in the bow I can keep the bow where I want it in a following sea or at any speed. Just like aircraft have remotely adjustable flaps for different conditions so should boats.
I'm 100% with Tabman on this one. <br /><br />bp