Difference between Omc 19" SST and a 19" Raker Prop?

85Sunbird

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 19" Omc SSt prop on my boat right now and I'm trying to find some more speed (4-5 mph) and had thought about trying the same pitch prop in a raker style. My question is....will a raker provide me with more bow lift and more spped like I'm looking or is it not much different than the SST prop?<br /><br />Thanks:<br />Jason

rjarreau

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Difference between Omc 19" SST and a 19" Raker Prop?

I have tried many props on my boats. and had a sst on my promaster 19 foot c.c. boat with a johnson 130 . the lower unit went out and i traded up to a raker. MISTAKE!! the raker ran worse than the sst. I just sucked it up and bought a Ballistic on ebay(HAd one on every boat I owned . Picked up 7 mph and a lot better fuel economy. I have had the Ballistic props on my performance bass boat to my center console bay boat. and I can guarantee you . It will be the best investment you can make. Just buy one on ebay and you will see !!!thanks and have a great day !!!!<br /><br /><br />1998 Promaster 19 Foot Center Console Bay Boat<br />BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand <br />Reeltime123@cox.net<br />Promaster Website at:<br /> http://community.webshots.com/user/reeltime123

85Sunbird

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info rjarreau!! I don't want to waste my money on something thats going to hurt my performance. I'll look on ebay for a Ballistic. Did you stick with the same pitch as your SST?<br /><br />Thanks again:<br />Jason

middleton1

Cadet

Why not buy a Ballistic from here at iboats instaed of Ebay? You will get a new prop and the ability to return it if its not right and you'll be supporting this forum. Ballistic props on sale now too!

rjarreau

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yep, I did go with the right pitch, and Loved it so much that I bought a brand new extra one about a month ago on ebay. And Middleton1, I buy lots of my stuff here like last week just got my smart tabs on Iboats but for props I have found that You can get them as much as 60-75 % cheaper!! And if it is not the right pitch You are only out about 150.00 for a few weeks, just put it back on ebay and get you money back. Props are way overpriced, for the large v4, and v6 motors, you can spend as much as 300-500 bucks for a good prop. and once you install it you cannot return it so you end up listing it on ebay anyway!!! Trying to prop your boat with the best prop is a costly thing to do just trying to do it as cost effective as possible.!!! good luck!!!!<br /><br /><br />1998 Promaster 19 Foot Center Console Bay Boat<br />BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand<br />Reeltime123@cox.net<br />Promaster Website at:<br /> http://community.webshots.com/user/reeltime123

bounder4465

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Balistic and Turbo props are mfg by the same company, Precision Propellers. I installed one (Turbo) on my 22' bowrider last summer and picked up 4 mph over my SS Mercury prop.<br /><br />Just my $0.02

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I do quite a bit of tubing...how's the hole shot and grab with these props in turns?

rjarreau

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The holeshot On my boat is like a bass boat. before I had the ballistic It took a long time to get on plane, now it pops right out the water. I just installed my smart tabs last weekend and I have not yet tried them but they will get the back end up and out faster in the shallows, and that is where i fish!!! <br /><br /><br />1998 Promaster 19 Foot Center Console Bay Boat<br />BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand<br />Reeltime123@cox.net<br />Promaster Website at:<br /> http://community.webshots.com/user/reeltime123

bounder4465

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cobra, my hole shot is somewhat better with the Turbo. The most improved areas on my boat was the top end, and the lack of cavitation on tight turns.<br /><br />My Mercury prop would cavitate on a turn regardless of the trim setting. I still need to trim in on the turns with the Turbo, but it might be in the hull design ???? In my opinion...finding the proper prop is tough.<br /><br />You are going about it right though. Ask around, see what everyone in using and their experience, and make your best guess. That is how I bought my Turbo.<br /><br />A fellow at the lake had a boat like mine and really liked its performance. So, I sprang for mine, and he was right it works on my boat.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I swapped an omc stainless prop (is sst the painted stainless one?) for a polished raker. I changed pitch from 19 to 22 and expected reduced performance. I was wrong, I have more bite in almost every situation and my top speed became scary fast. I'm driving a 16' Baja w/a V4 and running close to 55 mph (I havn't REALLY topped it out yet) and the Raker seems to be designed for best performance on fast boats at top end speeds, probably not good for skiing and pontoon boats and the like.