DuPont Imron paint online?

michaelsen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have search around after a online dealer, but haven't found any. Please let me know, if you know where to buy it.<br /><br />Regards<br />Mike

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: DuPont Imron paint online?

I purchase these types of paints all the time in my work. Usually just base collors, we mix the custom colors in house. I've never tried or needed to buy online.<br /><br />It may be that they are commercial haz.-mats. and come with special handling precautions and MSDS sheets. It may be too much red tape selling to general public on line. There are liability issues as well. You not only have the paint but there's the catatyst, reducers and other additives depending on what you are trying to do. <br /><br />Than there is the color you require, it will have to be mixed. That may be complicated online. We have a 16 & 32 mixing stations that mix hundreds if not thousands of colors. We have a web-site but never get into these types complicated issues with the general public online.<br /><br />Do you have a problem purchasing from local supplier? If you do than you may be able to purchase out of state and have them shipped COD. You will have to pay haz.-mat shipping charge. When we can't get it local we use UPS it's not that expensive. Don't know about others or even if they handle haz.-mats.<br /><br />If I knew where you live with zip I could find a supplier close to you, at work tomarrow.<br /><br />One other thing this stuff isn't cheap, look to spend from 100.00 to 150.00 (GAL) depending on what you want to do. Thats what we pay give or take for all components.<br /><br />Good luck

michaelsen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info.<br />I live in Palm Bay, Florida zip 32905.<br />What color are the base colors? I just need plain white. It is for my 18ft bowrider. I hope to get started next weekend. Do you have any ideas how much paint I should buy? I found a picture of a boat looking almost like mine so you can get an idea about size http://www.sfsportsmarine.com/trihull.jpg <br /><br />Regards<br />Mike

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mike,<br /><br />I'll look it up tomarrow and post a reply. If you are painting a glass boat there may be a better acrylic polyurethane paint than imron.<br /><br />PPG plants make just about all of them with different names for specific lines (types) of paints and company specs. I'll see about imron. We use that the leaset its been around a long time and some paints have gotten a lot better since than.<br /><br />For a boat I would think you would want something compatable fast drying and plyable, imron's pretty hard.<br /><br />I'll check it out and let you know.

michaelsen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ultra, I picked Imron after a lot of searcing and reading on the internet. I never actually seen anything painted with Imron. It seems like everyone who know that paint is so amazed about the result of a Imron paint job.<br />I plan to give the bottom a barrier coat, the top a suitable primer and then paint the whole hull with Imron. It is a trailer boat so I don't think I will need any antifouling bottom paint. <br />Any opinions about polyurethane paint under water?<br /><br />Regards<br />Mike

michaelsen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ultra, I guess you forgot about my post. Anyway, I found this online http://www.midwestchemicals.com/500-500R.htm and decided to give it a try. I ordered it and their epoxy primer and hope to get going with the job this weekend. I will get back with a "review" and maybe some pictures. If it is comparable to Imron, then it is definately a good price. <br /><br />RegardsRegards<br />MikeMike :rolleyes:

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Mike,<br /><br />No I didn't forget Monday I got in touch with one of my suppliers in SC and he was to fax pricing and shipping info to me for your area. Although I haven't been in the office much this week (on the road) I haven't seen anything come in yet.<br /><br />I should have posted to you I was waiting :eek: <br /><br />I figured I would give him till Friday before calling. I don't like to push suppliers on small things because one day I may really need a favor. You gotta pick your battles.<br /><br />As far as the painting process I don't know what is on your boat now so I really can't advise what first to apply. Primer ect...<br /><br />One paint I have pricing ect is PPG Matthews Acrylic Polyurethane and it can be applied over just about any paint as long as you scuff the sub-straight and clean it with M.E.K. You would not need a primer as long as the existing paint is completely intact!<br /><br />When in doubt of compatibility PPG makes "Ti-Bond" as a prep spray there are two concerns with this #1 It is very difficult to work with you MUST have a lot of experience with spray work and #2 You MUST have a completely dust free work area (for 2 days) and a spray booth to keep air moving so dried material doesn't come down to lay on the painted surface. #2 is pretty much true with and type of spraying.<br /><br />I don't know your level of experience but with any of these expensive paints I don't think your boat is where you want to go to school.<br /><br />All of the Acrylic paints will give you an excellent paint job but the finish isn't in the paint it’s in your equipment your hand and your head.<br /><br />You asked about the paint under water, Acrylic polyurethane is what is used on many aluminum boats. Sometimes powder coat witch essentially has the same materials just a different process. Many times these are baked. No matter it will harden with the correct catilyst.<br /><br />There are specific boat paints designed for fiberglass. If your painting the boat white the level of gloss will be negligible, white will show the "Great" properties of the paint the least. <br /><br />You want this to look good and I am getting the sense (I may be wrong) that spray painting is not something you do on a regular bases. You are looking for this grand look, the paint won't do that you will or not. If you’re not experienced you could wind up with zebra stripes or an orange peal appearance or worst of all the paint won't hold up (won't stick)<br /><br />This is not a back yard project the sun and wind will keep you from maintaining a wet edge and there is the dust and dirt. And you can't do it in a garage unless you have explosion proof lighting and air handling to move the over spray out (into filters) the buildup of fumes can explode from improper lighting or fans.<br /><br />Let me know what you think with this additional info :)

D

DJ

MikeMike,<br /><br />CaptUlta is right. YOU DO NOT WANT TO MESS WITH IMRON unless you take EVERY precaution he mentions.<br /><br />That stuff is NASTY. Yes, it dries as hard as a rock and that is not necessarily a quality you want on a smaller boat.<br /><br />I have painted many boats using plain old marine enamal and some one part polyurathane. Even the one part can be touchy in that it has a tendancy to lift and/or bubble. Surface prep. is the major factor.<br /><br />I would rather use enamel and apply an anti fouling paint below the water line if the boat sits in the water. For trailerboats, enamel is fine and one part poly is OK-just harder to work with.

michaelsen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you for the help. I will be careful with the paint. I am using fresh air supply and have the prober ventilation. I am not painting on a regular basis, but have painted cars and boats in the past. Never with 2-part polyurethane though. I'll know how it is in a few days. The boat has never been painted before, so I shouldnt get any lift/bouble problems.