Painting aluminum jon boat (duracraft)

Slugger

Recruit
Could someone please advise me;<br /><br />1. type of paint<br />2. Can the duracraft decal be purchased.

crab bait

Captain
Re: Painting aluminum jon boat (duracraft)

hardly enough info to really help you there ,bigdog. but if there is any bare metal showin' you have to use zinc oxide primer or the paint just falls off .. about the decals,, contac the company go on a web search page like gooogle type in duracraft boats ,,, bingo ,,, toll free ##

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to the local auto parts store and tell them you need an acid wash primer (for bare metal), they will know what you need.<br />Wipe boat with M.E.K.<br />Scuff the existing good paint with 400-600 wet/dry sand paper, sand dry. if you want a really good finisk wet sand 1200 than 2000 (depends on what you want.)<br />Blow off dust and wipe LIGHTLY with tac-rag.<br />Use primer only on bare aluminum.<br />Lightly sand with wet 2000 <br />Final coat with Acrylic polyurethane. (any brand)<br /><br />All paint should be sprayed on.<br /><br />Get all at good (commercial type) auto parts supplier.<br /><br />Good luck

Slugger

Recruit

Crab bait and Capt_Ultra,<br />Thanks a lot, great help. off and running.<br />Thanks again

fernandinian

Cadet

I painted my aluminum jon boat a couple of weeks ago: used aerosol zinc chromate available at marine (fairly expensive) facilities. I followed with an industrial enamel - anything will stick after chromate. Hope this helps.