Boat sizes and fuel tank capacity regulations?

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been browsing the web trying to find some info on fuel tank capacities but I am coming up empty. All the regulations I've come across have to do with tank construction, mounting, venting, hoses, and fittings. I haven't come across anything that relates to capacities and boat sizes. Any ideas on where to get a document that spells out the capacity info?

We use all portable tanks in our boats, around 6-8 gallon tanks, and I was curious how much fuel I can load up. I want to increase my range. I am thinking of getting a big top side tank so I don't have to swap the small ones around. Some days I'll take 3 6gal tanks and a 2gal jerry can just in case.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Boat sizes and fuel tank capacity regulations?

As long as the fuel tanks are Approved and Secured,
You can add as much fuel as you like, as long as you don't exceed the "Persons and Gear" Capacity of the boat.

Would 100 gallons get you there and back? :)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

There is no limit to the amount. Just how you store it and how the tanks are constructed/designed.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I have 152 gallon capacity on a 22' boat. Would that be enough?...lol

thumpar

Admiral

I don't know of a limit other than weight. There are some limits to each tank size though. Here in WA state it is illegal to fill up a portable tank more than 6 gallons.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I don't know of a limit other than weight. There are some limits to each tank size though. Here in WA state it is illegal to fill up a portable tank more than 6 gallons.

It's also illegal to be a conservative... :heh: Nanny State.