In water transducer install

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
I had to order a new transducer and bracket for my Humminbird 561 DI fishfinder cause the boat fell off the trailer when I was fixing one of the bunks. Oops.
I was going to take the boat out to do this but the local ramp closed due to damage. The next ramp is 10 miles up river but cost a lot of $$$ to launch and retrieve their.
My backyard has a mud flat in the back so at high tide it's about a foot deep but two hours after the tide shifts it's dry. I was going to build a temporary boat stand out of some 2x4s and float the boat onto that so it's 2ft above the ground.
Is this a good idea? I don't really want to take the boat out of the water. The transducer cost me $120 on eBay.

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: In water transducer install

Is it just one of those transducers that screws onto a bracket on the transom? If so then why take the boat out of the water at all, unless the bracket is junk too.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

No, it has a kick up design so if you hit a rock it pops up like an outboard. And the bracket snap so can't reuse that.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Does the mud flat have a hard bottom that will support the temp stand? And you? The stand won't fall over, will it?

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

It's a muddy mess but it will be able to support the boat. I've got posts in the ground from a dock project but that is going too slow. Only posts nothing else. The boat only weighs 300lbs with gear so not much weight

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

take the boat out of the water...will make this job a whole lot easier.. if you have to drill/seal, how are you going to do that with the rear end of the boat under water? just a suggestion... you might end up dropping srews/ parts in the drink and lose them too. An ouce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.. :) I understand your intentions...you dont want to take the boat out of the water, sometimes it's best to do the right thing... for best outcome

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral

It's a muddy mess but it will be able to support the boat. I've got posts in the ground from a dock project but that is going too slow. Only posts nothing else. The boat only weighs 300lbs with gear so not much weight

300lbs? How about just inflating a couple air mattresses underneath it ;)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

300# boat? Tie a line to it and drag it up onto dry land. If you cannot get enough help, use the winch from the trailer to do the dragging. Put some logs under it to help it roll.

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really like the air mattress idea! :) yeah, I would just buy a case of beer and invite some friends.

airshot

Rear Admiral

If your boat only weighs 300 lb then it must be an outboard, remove the OB and have a couple friends sit as far up front as possible and the stern will probably come up out of the water, now attatch the bracket.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

Well that was a epic fail!!
Spent 2 hours and acomphlished getting my boat and myself covered head to toe in mud/dirt. I decided to do it close to the bank so I could push the boat back in the water when I was done. turned out I had it too close to the bank and i couldn't get to the transom without getting into 48* water. I get the come along out and try to pull the boat closer to the hill and !SNAP! stand broke sending the bow into the mud. I had to push the boat into the receding water and get in it and head back to my dock. I got in the water anyways cause I did not want to get in my truck covered in mud. Cloth Seats + Mud = Bad Smell And Stains.

I didn't take my phone down their cause of fear of dropping it in the water. iPhone 5C trying to get a life proof or otter box case that's water proof. Sorry no videos or photos of that epic fail. I of have a pic of my backyard and what it looked like after the fact.
If I can upload one...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

hell just remove the motor and get a couple buddies to help you drag it up on the dock

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

After going through that I'm taking it out of the water for a day. It sucks cause the ramp I normally use is only open for water foul which is from 1st of September to end of March. It's free but no real parking, dirt ramp in the woods, no dock to put the boat if solo. But it's deep at high tide due to all the power loading! Last year it was a about 12 ft at the drop off. Lol. Can't put any boat larger then 18ft and drafts more than 3.5ft unless your skilled enough to back up a windy dirt path That's 1/2 mile long one way road full of ditches and ****.

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What if ya got a clear trash bag, cut a couple slits in it, duck tape a pair of rubber gloves in it, put all your parts/tools in it, duck tape it to the hull around the work area, use some compressed air to keep it inflated.

Lol Could work. Much easier than moving a 300# boat!