Boat Rating plate

mgsolakis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I just got a new boat and I looked at the rating plate on the back. It is a transport Canada plate and offers the following recommendations: max hp 60, max load 655 kg. Then on the inside of the boat is another plate from the US Coast Guard rating the boat at the following: 100 hp and 1225 lbs. What the heck? Why so different?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Boat Rating plate

Look the boat up in the boat specs link in my signature below. Maybe Canada has stricter rules.......

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

That is a HUGE difference! What kind of boat? The uscg plate numbers for HP at least are not excessive, and in some cases, a little conservative. A boat rated at 100hp is going to be marginal at best with a 60. A couple people and you aren't going to get on plane.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Interesting. By my calculations, 655 kG equates to 1441 lbs. So USCG says higher horsepower, but lower load capacity at 1225 lbs. Makes you wonder how much regulation is science and how much is just a guess. - Grandad

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Sounds to me like different agencies from different companies might just have different policies and formulas for rating a boat..... Imagine that......

Alumarine

Captain

Are you sure the Canadian plate isn't showing 60 KW which would be 80 hp?

Still different but not as much.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you get stopped on Lake Ontario just make sure you are on the border line and the passengers are in the bow with the stern over on the US side. That way you are good for both sets of rules.