2001 bayliner with mercruiser

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I usually post on the Johnson/Evinrude forum but need some info for a family member. My cousin has a 2001 Bayliner 17ft bowrider with a 3.0 liter Mercrusier I/O. The engine has run great for the last few years but when we pulled the boat out to use this season we found that the engine was seized, rusted plugs, and of course milky oil. This of course mes that either there is a crack in block, bad head gasket, or cracked head. The engine was looked at by a local shop and the estimate to replace was between 2500-3500. My cousin was thinking of having the job done and then selling the boat. I told him it would be stupid to sink all that money into a boat that someone else is going to buy so it would prob be best to just cut his loses, sell it for whatever its worth and find something else. I figured I would come to y'all to find out what the boat and trailer are worth with a seized engine. The boat is spotless, has perfect seats and carpet, brand new gauges, fish finder, full stereo, and a brand new aluminum trailer as of two years ago, and lower unit is fully functional and spotless. What do you think the asking price should be considering the overall condition and the fact it needs a new engine.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: 2001 bayliner with mercruiser

Somebody that would be willing to buy the boat in its current condition would probably want a factor of 2x the cost of the engine replacement off the value of a fully operational boat. So, figure about $5-6K off the fair market value.

However, the boat in good condition may only be worth $6-7K. So, it does not leave much room.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

i have always felt a boat with a broken motor is worth the same as a car with a broken motor, nothing

just my opinion though

trailer's probably worth $1000?

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

He will be hard pressed to find someone to buy it for any reasonable amount. It's worth salvage value. Unless a guy who know how to swap his own engines buys it as a project it will probably be used for parts. Maybe list it at $1,500 and see what bites you get....advertise the trailer, out drive, interior parts....ect. But he should be prepared to take whatever anyone will give him. Stinks but it's the reality of the situation.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

Throw it up on craigslist for $2k-3k and see what happens, there's probably somebody out there that has a engine ready to go in it.

i have always felt a boat with a broken motor is worth the same as a car with a broken motor, nothing

just my opinion though

trailer's probably worth $1000?

I think that's true of older examples but it wouldn't be true on the high end. For example a $100k Cobalt that needs a $10k engine. Of course you'd never see something like that come up for sale, the seller would just pay to fix it.

I like Tpenfield's numbers on it. Also he has sold a boat with a blown motor.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

yep I'm thinking $2-3k and see what bites but $1500 to get rid of it.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Something else, too. If the engine isn't running you can't prove that the outdrive is any good. If it were me looking at it, I'd make my offer assuming the worst- that the entire drivetrain is crap. I might offer what the trailer is worth plus a little more if the boat is really clean.

My .02

Take the plugs out and drain oil, spray penetrating oil in all cylinders and work the crank back and forth with a breaker bar. I've seen seized engines come loose like this before. Worth a shot, right?

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am gonna give the oil and breaker bar a try. Can't make it any worse. I agree with those who say we need to list it for 3K and see what we get. Only paid 5K for it about 4 years ago so 3K wouldn't be too huge of a hit if it was offered.