Should prop spin in gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer
When the shifter is in foward gear should the prop spin in the reverse direction by hand and vice versa? Also in neutral would the prop spin freely in both directions? Sorry if this sounds pretty stupid question. Also what does the shifter cables do exactly? I've heard some people say they needed readjustment, how is that done? Thansk

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Should prop spin in gear

Assuming a Normal Right Hand, Clockwise, Merc Alpha Drive, Betas and others are different......

In neutral, the prop will free wheel both directions by hand.

In forward and looking into the prop from astern... It will Not turn to the Left/Counterclockwise.
It will turn to the Right/Clockwise and the Clutch Teeth will be heard and felt jumping as you do it. Click,Click,Click.

In Reverse, the same thing will also happen, only to the opposite directions.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The shift cable has a wire core which slides inside a sheath. When you push the remote forward, the sheath stays still and the wire core pulls a linkage at the outdrive/outboard. That linkage either manipulates the outdrive/outboard into or out of gear.
Generally, shift cables do not need periodic adjustment unless either the remote or the outdrive/outboard has moved as the wire core is a set length with a little bit of adjustment at either end.

Are you having shifting issues?

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Yes it Is stuck in forward gear. I just went to boat and when I put it in forward the prop doesn't spin. Nor in neutral will the prop spin. I did change my water pump and I'm hoping that I didn't align the shifter rod correctly Or missed it completely.

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Yes it Is stuck in forward gear. I just went to boat and when I put it in forward the prop doesn't spin by hand. Nor in neutral will the prop spin. I did change my water pump and I'm hoping that I didn't align the shifter rod correctly Or missed it completely. It's a 2003 yamaha 130

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain

If it spins in Neutral but not in Forward or Reverse it is likely working.
If it is not an Alpha Drive even more so. WHAT Drive?

In Forward, it will jump the clutch if you turn it to Clockwise. It will NOT just "Spin".
It takes a little muscle to jump the clutch teeth. No Damage will be incurred.
Nothing you can do with your bare hands will damage the drive.

Ooops! :embarassed:
I mised the part where you said it will not spin in neutral.
It is likely in gear, as you mis-aligned the shifter.

Last edited:

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Great news! I took lower unit down and I did miss the shift shaft? Took 20 min and was ready to go...thanks for the help guys

hap777

Cadet
My prop spins freely by hand in both directions when in all gears. I notice driveshaft spins with it. What is that?

Maclin

Admiral
This thread is 3 years old. You should start a new topic of your own, giving what motor you are talking about and when this started, but first shot is something is broken or disconnected in whatever you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.