Horsepower Rating

dgw_181

Recruit
Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have a 1980 Stessl 4.0 (with forward control).

I need to replace the motor and the plate with the max horsepower rating is all worn and unreadable.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the max horsepower for the vessel. It currently has a 25hp unit on it.

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Horsepower Rating

Where do you live? Most of us iboaters live in the U.S., and I for one have never heard of Stessl. Do you mean this company?

Stessl

Why don't you call them?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

your 4 meter boat is about 13' long. 25hp would be about right for max HP based on the calculations of the hull length and transom width, if I assume a 1.5 meter wide transom (5').

Section 4.0. Hull Design Requirements And Calculation Of Recommended Maximum Capacities For Vessels Not More Than 6 Metres In Length - Transport Canada
New Boatbuilders Home Page - Horsepower

depending on your transom width and height, you may only be rated for 20hp.

I would call or contact the company.

dgw_181

Recruit

Thanks for the info.

I am located in Sydney, Australia, I did try contacting the company however with a change of ownership many years ago they no longer have records of the older boats (25+ years) available.

I think it safe to just stick with a 25hp as that is what is currently on it, I was just toying with the idea of putting something a little bigger on the back.