Dock Line Suggestions

Moose_25_2500

Seaman
I have a 2002 19' bayliner 1950 classic and got a new 3 sided slip for the season...super excited compared to the end dock piece of crap I had last season. So the dock is in a marina on cheat lake in wv. Great lake and is mostly calm all season with the exception of a few heavy storms from time to time. Its a man made lake and dam so the water is mostly calm.

Most boaters here dock their 25' and under boats by a snap hook on the bow eye tied to either side of the front dock. (let me add that there are no cleats on the docks) so most people tie their stern lines to the dock and use pre-spliced eyes to attach to the boat cleat. Very simple and keeps the boats in the middle of the slip without touching the sides. Of course I forgot to take pix at the end of last season.

So my question is what is the right size line for my cleats (Pre-sliced) on the stern would be? 1/2" or 3/8" ? 1/2" is stronger but will it be too big to easily fit around the cleat on the boat or will it fit nice and snug? I plan on using pre-spliced double braid line but, I am not sure what size eye to get 10", 12" etc?

Plus should I increase the bow line to 5/8" since it will take most of the load and will only be attaching to the bow eye by ss snap hook? any ides would be awesome. thanks

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Dock Line Suggestions

3/8" line should be strong enough for a 20' boat, even for the bow lines. I suggest adding spring lines to your plan so you can minimize stress on the other lines.

You can see an explanation of spring lines here: How To Set Up Your Mooring Lines

Ned L

Commander

I agree, 3/8 is plenty for a 19 foot boat.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I agree. Just do as your neighbors.

My boat's kept in a boathouse, so I don't depend on ropes all the time.

I buy 50' hollow core ropes and cut them into 4 sections. Then, I thread the ends of each rope inside the hollow part of the rope making an eye on each end. I then loop the eye through itself thru the cleats on 4 corners instead of tying a knot. The length is also perfect. And if I need a longer rope, I'll connect more ropes by looping the eyes together--again without knots. I would want a larger rope if used daily to tie my boat up--for long periods of time.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the most secure way is to push the eye of the line through the cleat's eye then wrap it over, but for a lake, you can probably just drop it over, or give the line eye one loop then drop it over. The last two, any size line will work.

can you add your own cleats to the dock? just screw them in with wood screws; no backing required for your application.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

the most secure way is to push the eye of the line through the cleat's eye then wrap it over.
+1....
In this case line is is a matter of comfort while handling. My 40' spring line is 1/2". The others are 5/8"

Moose_25_2500

Seaman

the most secure way is to push the eye of the line through the cleat's eye then wrap it over, but for a lake, you can probably just drop it over, or give the line eye one loop then drop it over. The last two, any size line will work.

can you add your own cleats to the dock? just screw them in with wood screws; no backing required for your application.

Thanks for the info. I can add cleats but, almost no one seems to do so. I guess its just easier to tie lines to the dock for the summer and tie to the boat with the eye.

Moose_25_2500

Seaman

+1....
In this case line is is a matter of comfort while handling. My 40' spring line is 1/2". The others are 5/8"

Sounds like 3/8" will handle the weight but, I was not sure if 1/2" would not have a better (snug) fit through the boat cleat.

What about the eye size? 12" seems to be standard but, I was thinking a 10" eye could be more secure since it would be tighter around the cleat.

Thanks for the help

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

A larger spliced eye is easier to use, especially when the line gets stiff (OK that's a salt water perspective).

But any loop will be plenty secure for your lake docking situation; you can probably just loop it over. If you would leave it moored for a hurricane then you are probably adding lines in addition to your mooring lines. (oops there I go again).

As Dingbat said, go with lines that are larger as they are more comfortable to work with, such as pulling against a running tide.(%^&*#@).

How do you "tie to the dock" without cleats? If you are wrapping around a piling, that takes up a lot of line. And tying line to raw lumber can result in fraying, especially if you get a sudden squall (I assume they make fresh-water squalls?) I suspect they aren't using cleats since that's a coastal fitting.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like 3/8" will handle the weight but, I was not sure if 1/2" would not have a better (snug) fit through the boat cleat.

What about the eye size? 12" seems to be standard but, I was thinking a 10" eye could be more secure since it would be tighter around the cleat.

Thanks for the help

No sure what your concern is about the fit around the cleat. If you put the eye thru the cleat then wrap, it's not going anywhere. You could use a 30" splice loop and it's not going anywhere.

FWIW: I have 12" loops on mine.

cleatknot3.jpg

Moose_25_2500

Seaman

How do you "tie to the dock" without cleats? If you are wrapping around a piling, that takes up a lot of line. And tying line to raw lumber can result in fraying, especially if you get a sudden squall (I assume they make fresh-water squalls?) I suspect they aren't using cleats since that's a coastal fitting.[/QUOTE]

Yes we get squals or storms and they can be crazy as times. They are floating docks with no pilings. The docks are anchored to the lake bottom. See the pictures below. The one is of how everyone ties their boats to the dock(and the really cool wood boat is not mine). So all we do is just loop the dock line around the side board and through the hole in the floor board and then attach the eye to the boat cleat. The other pic is my boat

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Marina 2.jpg
    Marina 2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

mooring knot holes. that's a new one to me!

If I didn't add a cleat, I think I'd leave a dedicated short line in the hole, with a running block (figure 8 knot) below to keep it from coming out and another above so it doesn't drop in and also so the line isn't left in the water.

Thalasso

Commander

3/8 line is good enough for Cheat Lake. The biggest wakes are caused by skis.:laugh:

Dock Edge? Porta Cleat at Bass Pro is good for what your doing

Moose_25_2500

Seaman

Their theory is probably so you don't hit your foot on the cleat. Or they are too cheap to install cleats.
Its a little of both here...lots of power drinkers who cannot walk a straight line and maybe a little bit cheap...they are also crazy about putting carpet down around their boats...maybe acts as a soft buey and makes it easier to walk around... either way carpeting around docks is all over the place ...even a clause in the lease abot upcharge if you do not remove it at the end of the season

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

Nice function of the bow line with snap hook is that the bow can be easily secured and untied from the boat without reaching or maneuvering to either side to grab lines. The only suggestion is to add snubbers to the dock lines. Enjoy the three-sided slip.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I thought carpeting a boat was bad, but carpeting a dock????

because cleats are placed about 2 " from the edge, drunks tripping is not the reason. Money is.

anyway doesn't matter. you will use your boat 10 times more by keeping it slipped. have fun!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I thought carpeting a boat was bad, but carpeting a dock????

because cleats are placed about 2 " from the edge, drunks tripping is not the reason. Money is.

anyway doesn't matter. you will use your boat 10 times more by keeping it slipped. have fun!

Sofa docks!

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

Sofa docks make just as comfortable outdoor living rooms as sofaboats. Bikinis and barefeet love carpet on both. Carpeted docks also help keep feet clean pre-boarding, and keep water toys from getting dinged, they are popular here too.

You old salties can stick to your fish-only affairs.

Moose_25_2500

Seaman

Nice function of the bow line with snap hook is that the bow can be easily secured and untied from the boat without reaching or maneuvering to either side to grab lines. The only suggestion is to add snubbers to the dock lines. Enjoy the three-sided slip.

Yep the snap hook is mainly for making it easy to get in and out of the slip. Plus it makes getting the cover on and off easier.
thanks and i will check out getting snubbers