Transom Wedge

dejv

Cadet
I have a 16ft boat with a 40hp mariner.

I am having some problems with plaining. I read some posts about the tansom wedges and was planning to try them.
what is the maximum degrees that the wedge must be?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Transom Wedge

Planing problems are usually cured by adjust the motor height/ height of ventilation plate to keel and/or trimming the motor in or out.

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about with the wedge.

Post some pics of your setup, a side view of your motor so we can see the motors height on the transom.

A 40 horse motor should easily plane a 16' boat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

agreed and also planing problems are often addressed by shiftinbg weight--all assuming the engine works properly and the boat isn't waterlogged.

also depends on the "16' boat" which can range from a canoe to a heavy closed hull

Last edited:

dejv

Cadet

Below are the pics as requested.

WP_000934.jpg

WP_000935.jpg

WP_000947.jpg

the wedge i was talking about is something like the below:

DSC05190-1.jpg

re the weight distribution I already moved the fuel tank from the back to the middle of the boat (inside the console) also please note that I also have a 5hp motor at the back (side)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

ALSO note that VERY often planing issues can be solved with a prop change.

Some smart tabs are another option.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Your setup looks ok to me. How about some specs like if you don't have power trim what hole out of how many holes is your tilt pin located, if you have a tach, what is your WOT rpm under what kind of load, what is your speed (gps) at WOT with what kind of load, what is your prop pitch?

Mark

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

How far down will your motor trim now? In the pictures it looks like it's about neutral with no negative trim. Is there a pin or anything you can remove to let it tuck more?

Transom wedges will definitely help get you boat on plane faster by giving you more negative trim. The only down side it they take away from your positive trim, which may not be a problem if you don't need full trim anyway. Most of them are in the 5* range, and that should work fine.

dejv

Cadet

How far down will your motor trim now? In the pictures it looks like it's about neutral with no negative trim. Is there a pin or anything you can remove to let it tuck more?

Transom wedges will definitely help get you boat on plane faster by giving you more negative trim. The only down side it they take away from your positive trim, which may not be a problem if you don't need full trim anyway. Most of them are in the 5* range, and that should work fine.

no it is on the last pin.

dejv

Cadet

that trailer--which I would call a dolly--is scary.

if you are talking about the the angle iron that is not welded, the trailer was still work in progress. and I only have about 10 minutes drive from garage to the sea

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your engine isn't having issues is it? my 15ft skiff is planning with me, my wife and dog on 20hp. Your setup looks fine to me.

Expidia

Commander
Most shops will let you try before you buy on a prop. Swap one out and take it for a spin to see if a different pitch prop makes a difference. Like others have said also check the motor first to see if it's putting out full power. Also I 2nd home cooking's comment on that trailer. I have a 15 foot aluminum with a 40 4 stroke and it pops to plane in a foot or two. Yours looks to be fiberglass and of course heavier but a 40 should easily plane it quickly.
That trailer looks to be one designed for a canoe as my daughter has a canoe trailer that looks just like that one.Yours looks like it started out as one of those Harbor Freight utility trailers. I can also tell by those small wheels. You may only have a short distance but that trailer might flip right over or snap. See if there is a label on it with the weight capacity. Position of the out board looks good so moving it higher or lower with the holes on the boat would probably not make it any faster.
Best bet is to try another prop first. I keep an extra one on board with a different pitch if iI know Im taking 3 or 4 out for the day. Makes a big difference.

Last edited:

MikDee

Banned

the wedge i was talking about is something like the below:

http://forums.iboats.com/filedata/fetch?id=7108546&d=1399978585

re the weight distribution I already moved the fuel tank from the back to the middle of the boat (inside the console) also please note that I also have a 5hp motor at the back (side)

That is known as a "JackPlate" made for raising, or lowering your motor.

Your setup looks good to me, but you appear to have some type of built in planing pad on the bottom? What problems are you having with planing off?

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
What year model is that boat?

Have you checked it for saturated foam? Wet floatation foam can add hundreds of pounds of water weight to your boat and slow your boat down and cause planning problems.