1st Cabin Cruiser

jbdenver

Cadet
We just purchased our first cabin cruiser. It is a 1986 Bayliner Ciera Sunbridge, only 24'. Any advice, tips....warnings will be appreciated.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 1st Cabin Cruiser

Tells us more about the new boat and maybe post up a few pics.

jbdenver

Cadet

1986 Ciera Sunbridge.jpg

We know the engine has been rebuilt, new upholstery, and the price was decent. LOL Trying to figure out the holding tank and kitchen.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Have you taken a boating safety course?, is all your paperwork in order?

jbdenver

Cadet

Yes and yes. We have owned a pontoon and ski boats before. This is the first one with a cabin.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Since it is bigger and heavier that anything you have owned before and your views will be partially obstructed by the cabin just keep in mind it takes longer to stop, slow, turn and will probably draw more water than you are used to so just take it real slow at first and you should be fine. :D is it a single or twin? (i couldn't see from the pic and is it an i/o or an inboard?

jbdenver

Cadet

It is a single....and excuse my naive answer...what is the difference between an i/o and an inboard? LOL

ziggy

Admiral

what is the difference between an i/o and an inboard?
pics of both. inboards can be v drives or straight drives or jet pump.
i think i'd take some more boating safety classes. uscg aux. or us power squadron will have some great classes available to help you with your boating skills. also ya might get the book chapmans seamanship and boat handling. it's a real thick book with most everything needed to learn to go boating safely. it also describes the difference between i/o's, o/b's and inboards.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Jeez that's a biggun! You have a satellite dish on her too? :lol:

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Ill see if I can help...

When you go out, make sure your fresh water tank has been cleaned & sanitized, and is full of fresh water. make sure the holding tank (black water) is clean, empty, and the head is working properly. Nothing shortens a boating trip like a passenger that's "uncomfortable".

Stay clear of other boats until you are comfortable handling your new one. As mentioned, the visibility is reduced and it's much wider than you're used to. It will also be slower to respond when docking as it takes a few seconds more to get reaction from the prop, so never approach anything faster than you're comfortable hitting it.

Get the appropriate sized fenders if not already equipped. Few things look more out of place than a tiny fender on a big boat. Aside from that, little ones won't offer the docking protection.

You'll prob be taking more passengers as well, so show them how to work various things in the boat (head, shower, etc) and have enough life preservers for all.

Have fun with your new barge and be safe!

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

It is a single....and excuse my naive answer...what is the difference between an i/o and an inboard? LOL

In both cases the engine is mounted inside the boat. Basically an inboard (as it relates to your size boat) is one where the propellor is in a fixed position and you steer with a rudder mounted in back of the prop by deflecting the water to one side or the other. An inboard outboard (i/o) you have a drive (that looks like the bottom half of an outboard sticking out from the back of the boat) and you steer by turning the outdrive and the prop. An i/o is much easier to steer because you can control the direction of the boat in both forward and reverse. With just an inboard you have virtually no control backing up so your boat will basically back up in a straight line only (with a single engine) and then you have to put it in forward to change direction. Because you have a rudder you will also have less control (boat will turn much slower than if it had an i/o so you will find you may have to go back and forth (in tight quarters like docking) to get where you want to go and it takes some practice. I would strongly recommend you plan some time to practice with it before you take it on your first trip. A boat that size unless well controlled could do some expensive damage to both your's and somebody else's property. See if you can find someone with "single screw" experience to show you the ropes.

agallant80

Commander

Sounds like you did what I did. Step up from a ski boat to a cabin cruiser. Its nice being able to spend the night on the lake. We also love doing actual cursing. About every 4-6 weeks we take off a day or two to make a 3-4 day weekend, pack up the boat and head down to the coast. We like it so much that we are thinking of forgoing the lake next year and just leaving the boat down at the coast. Here are some lessons/tips I have learned over the past 1.5 years with a cruiser.

1. You will need allot of equipment. Its kinda like furnishing a 2nd home and you will want to make it your own.
2. This will be debated but a small generator to run the AC on hot nights will be nice. Look in to this before you do it, there are safety things you should know about.
3. When you start traveling around you will need more than one type of anchor. I would reccomend doing what I did which it to get an anchor rated for a much larger boat (38-40). so you can sleep through the night and not worry about drifting.
4. Now since you will be able to cruise and explore unknown parts a chart plotter is a very nice thing to have
5. In line with #4 make sure your trailer is good to go if you plan on hauling her any distance to explore new areas. Have extra tires and extra hub etc. I have had a few trailer disasters and have learned what to keep. I have two extra tires and an extra hub along with other assorted trailer parts (ubolts, electrical tape etc)
6. You will more than likeley need to buy a pump out adapter for the holding tank in order to pump it out. In line with that a small cap worth of HE washing diturgent down the toilet will help to keep the tank clean
7. Never knew this until this year but there are filters you can but that go on the holding tank vent. If you don't have one its really nasty when someone pumps out and displaces the air in the holding tank through the vent.
8. DO NOT USE BLEACH in the holding tank. It will eat all of the seals on the head and you will be rebuilding it in no time
9. Make sure you buy some of the stay frest stuff for the fresh water tank. Its like food quality bleach and you only put very little in
10. You can not flush anything down the head besides the toilet paper that is meant for RVs and boats. Anything else will mean you are taking things apart.
11. Never, never, never fill up your fresh water tank with a host on a public dock. You don't know how many times I have seen people stick that hose in to their holding tank to "flush it out" after pumping the tank. Carry your own water hose for the fresh water tank.
12. I went through the effort and expense of adding a TV. 1.5 years later I think we have watched one movie on it. Its a nice to have but you may not use it as much as you think. If you have kids then it may be a different story
13. Magma grill is a nice thing to have
14. The stove that comes with the boat is a PITA and the smell of you cooking food will live in the cabin for the better part of the day
15. Camping stove and tea pot with instant coffie is a great thing to have. I like the PocketRocket and use it every time we spend the night on the boat.
16. You should have 4 dock lines for something that big. One bow, stern and one for spring. The other is just an extra because for some reason on public docks they seam to walk away.
17. Household cleaners are bad. They remove the wax and are hard on the upholstery.

agallant80

Commander

That should be point 18. Fuel adds up. Every time we go to Wilmington its $120 in gas to pull the boat there and back and $100 in fuel for the boat to go from Oak Island to Wilmington and back.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

f it is an OMC outdrive you must maintain properly with some special tips.

OMC Cobra Sterndrive Tech Info

if mercruiser (black) or Volvo Penta (White) you still need to maintain, but they are much more generic.

Silverton34c

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We just purchased our first cabin cruiser. It is a 1986 Bayliner Ciera Sunbridge, only 24'. Any advice, tips....warnings will be appreciated.

1) get used to the way the wind will move you around when docking and undocking....use it as your friend and not your enemy.

2) If overnighting a night or two, precook your meals if possible so you only have to warm them up. This includes coffee!

3) a grill that mounts in your fishing rod holder will be your best friend.

4) Light blankets usually work best...or light sleeping bags if you have them.

5) Get several bottles of "OFF" and leave them on the boat along with the sunblock

6) You will be outfitting a 2nd home so learn to leave things on the boat.

7) We always bring 2 extra carry bags with us. One the dirty laundry goes in...the other dirty dishes. Do the laundry as soon as you get home and bring the clean towels etc. back to the boat next time....do the dishes in your dishwasher...it will save your tank water for more important uses and you will have more time to enjoy yourself versus cleaning...paper plates and plastic forks/knives are a good alternative here depending on what your are eating

8) Bring a couple extra gallons of drinking water

9) Learn your boat systems

10) teach your partner how to drive the boat. (and dock...it doesn't have to be pretty)...in case you are knocked out or have a medical emergency

11) If you have pets, buy them a life jacket also

12) learn how to properly anchor

13) MOST IMPORTANT!!!!! HAVE FUN AND DONT STRESS OUT...its okay...really...

jbdenver

Cadet

Thanks for all the tips! I am sure this will be a learn as we go adventure.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

The boat has it's own gear: towels, clothes, dishes, food, etc. Much easier than hauling stuff on & off.

If you have a fridge, leave it for food & condiments. Keeps colder that way. For beverages, a cooler filled with ice is easily accessible and people won't be constantly in & out of the cabin.

Have extra handy lines and life preservers. Guests always seem to "add a friend". Safety meetings before outings are a must!

If you're in larger bodies of water, create a ditch bag (everything you might need if having to get off the boat NOW). Extra flares, whistle, drinking water, etc

GPS/chartplotter is is much better than reading maps while out, but doesn't take the place of having good maps and watching the markers. It's a good aid.