Regal Valanti 182 SE has a few bugs to work out, help needed

sr54x4

Seaman
I purchased a 1995 Regal Valanti 182 SE from my uncle 2 years ago. He purchased it brand new and kept it mint and went "overboard" on regular maintenance. Boat is in very good condition with the exception of these 4 "bugs" I would like to work out.

1) Humminbird depth sounder does not work. Displays 10ft all the time, which I believe is what it is set at for the alarm to sound. Any ideas on where to start? I believe the transducer is in the hull, not transom mount as I have never seen it. Where could it be?

2) Volt gauge does not function

3) Trim gauge does not function

4) Gas tank burps if you fill it to the point where the pump auto-shuts off. A lot of gas comes rushing back out.

Any tips/advice on where to begin with troubleshooting or repair would be great!

Thanks in advance.

pckeen

Commander
Re: Regal Valanti 182 SE has a few bugs to work out, help needed

With the number of electrical problems you have, my first thought would be to check your fuses, then all electrical connections for signs of rust or corrosion. If you see any discoloration or rust, remove the connections, shine them up with a piece of sandpaper, then reconnect.

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class

As pckeen stated, the electrical connections could be corroded and in need cleaning. Additionally, I would tackle as follows:

1. Make sure that the transducer is connected. If it is a hull mounted transducer like you suspect it will be located to the stern underneath the motor and epoxied to the hull. They are black and range in size from about 1" in diameter to about the size of a hockey puck. The coaxial wire from it which leads to the display is typically about 1/4inch in diameter. Follow this up to the dash and make sure that its connected and connection is clean.

2. With the key to on, but engine not running use a typical multimeter and measure the voltage across the voltage gauge. If you have about 12V then your voltage gauge is toast and you'll need to replace. If you get nothing, start working backwards to check if you have a bad ground or positive.

3. Depending on your outdrive make/model these are typically measured by one or two devices on the sides of the outdrive and then send a reduce voltage to the trim gauge on the dash. I would start by measuring the voltage across gauge with the unit up and then do it again with it down. If you get something different I would suspect that the device(s) on the outdrive are working and the gauge is at fault. I would start a new thread with your engine/outdrive model nos. in the respective thread (volvo/mercruiser) to get more help with this.

4. I understand that this is pretty typical and mine does the same. I combat this by reducing the flow when I get close by using the first click on the gas pump and haven't spilled any since.

Good luck and welcome to iboats!

sr54x4

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. These are good starting points....

1) I found the transducer, traced the wires and everything seems to be hooked up properly.

2&3) I will check with multimeter as suggested. I did check the connections and everything seems to be tight with no signs of rust/corrosion/ or other damage. I didnt check the fuses as I did not see them for those two gauges, but I will look harder and check them as well. Are they probably an in-line fuse?

4) thats pretty much what I have been doing, and it helps, but still not perfect. i guess it is something I just have to live with and be prepared for.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

4) thats pretty much what I have been doing, and it helps, but still not perfect. i guess it is something I just have to live with and be prepared for.

Thanks again!
I bring a rag along EVERY time to wrap around the nozzle while I am fueling, even as careful as I try, this still happens to me but has happened on almost every boat I've ever had.

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies. These are good starting points....

1) I found the transducer, traced the wires and everything seems to be hooked up properly.

2&3) I will check with multimeter as suggested. I did check the connections and everything seems to be tight with no signs of rust/corrosion/ or other damage. I didnt check the fuses as I did not see them for those two gauges, but I will look harder and check them as well. Are they probably an in-line fuse?

Thanks again!

1. Well was the transducer epoxied to the hull or just laying in the bilge? Other than that, I am not sure what else what could cause your problem.

2 & 3. The fuse is typically in a fuse block. Typically only one fuse is used for all the gauges, but maybe yours is different. Once you use the multimeter to determine the voltage you will know for sure.

4. Lastly, I have to turn the gas pump nozzle at a very hard angle to get it to go down into the filler hose. Getting it as far down as I can certainly has helped.

sr54x4

Seaman

1. Well was the transducer epoxied to the hull or just laying in the bilge? Other than that, I am not sure what else what could cause your problem.

2 & 3. The fuse is typically in a fuse block. Typically only one fuse is used for all the gauges, but maybe yours is different. Once you use the multimeter to determine the voltage you will know for sure.

4. Lastly, I have to turn the gas pump nozzle at a very hard angle to get it to go down into the filler hose. Getting it as far down as I can certainly has helped.

The transducer was epoxied in nice and tight. Do those things ever just go bad and stop sending signal?