Starcraft SS191 vinyl replacement

cornej1

Recruit
I have a 1992 Starcraft SS 191. It's been a great boat but the vinyl is starting to deteriorate. The seats are generally OK but the padded vinyl (bolsters?) on the sides of the boat need some help. My dilemma is how much time, effort and money I want to put into a boat over 20 years old. Is this a good DIY project? Any suggestions on where to go to get replacement materials?

Thanks for any input.

Jason
Lansing, MI

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Starcraft SS191 vinyl replacement

It's certainly a DIY project. Measure out to see how much vinyl you need (rolled vinyl is 54" wide). Remove the panels, strip the old stuff of, remove all staples. If the foam is shot or has black mold, replace it. Go to your local upholstery shop and get the marine rated vinyl you need. most places such as Wally World and local fabric stores won't have the marine rated vinyls. The stuff with the white fuzzy backing is NOT what you want.

Lay out the new vinyl and trim off excess. If you have a sewing machine, adding stripes or other colors is up to you. Staple on new vinyl with SS staples. Use heat from a heat gun (or hair dryer in a pinch) to soften the vinyl to help form compound bends. Any local upholstery shop would be willing to lend guidance or sewing assist, especially for welting (piping) cord and add-on panels.