First Boat! 1972 Wimmer Bimini

Falmund

Cadet
Well, I did a lot of my research while shopping on this website, so I figured I might as well establish myself here. Looks like a great resource! My name is Rick, I'm a 37 year old chemistry grad student from the bustling metropolis of Beaver Crossing, NE (pop 457). I'm a former helicopter mechanic, so I think I have the skills I need to do a lot of my own work. I have a wife and 3 boys: 10, 6 and 2. I've never owned a boat (unless you count an Intex inflatable raft that I mounted a Minnkota on and put in a floor.) My wife and I had been cruising that listing site, looking for options within our budget. It took us months to find one that looked worth our while.

Today, we bought our boat. It was advertised as a 1972 18' Winner. The plate names it as a Wimmer Bimini, and I am having a hard time finding much detail about it. From what I have gleaned, it's actually 16.75 ft (I haven't measured it yet), and it's in pretty good shape on the surface. There are some dark spots in the paint on the bottom, but it's not cracked that I can tell. From what I read, it is entirely fiberglass until you get to the floor. The previous owner replaced the carpet, the floor feels solid all around, and he made his own seats. They seem to be ok, though they need some better attachment hardware. The engine is a 90 HP Evinrude (anyone know where I can find the data plate?), which starts easily and runs. I figured, a seaworthy hull with a running engine was well worth $1050! There are a lot of cosmetic stuff we need to do, and I imagine I can find all the info I need for that right here! I will get some detailed pictures up tomorrow, and then the questions will begin!

Looking forward to meeting you all, and thanks for the opportunity!
Rick

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: First Boat! 1972 Wimmer Bimini

Your info plate will be on the engine mounting bracket for an Evinrude. Yes, photo's help lots!!

Well, I did a lot of my research while shopping on this website, so I figured I might as well establish myself here. Looks like a great resource! My name is Rick, I'm a 37 year old chemistry grad student from the bustling metropolis of Beaver Crossing, NE (pop 457). I'm a former helicopter mechanic, so I think I have the skills I need to do a lot of my own work. I have a wife and 3 boys: 10, 6 and 2. I've never owned a boat (unless you count an Intex inflatable raft that I mounted a Minnkota on and put in a floor.) My wife and I had been cruising that listing site, looking for options within our budget. It took us months to find one that looked worth our while.

Today, we bought our boat. It was advertised as a 1972 18' Winner. The plate names it as a Wimmer Bimini, and I am having a hard time finding much detail about it. From what I have gleaned, it's actually 16.75 ft (I haven't measured it yet), and it's in pretty good shape on the surface. There are some dark spots in the paint on the bottom, but it's not cracked that I can tell. From what I read, it is entirely fiberglass until you get to the floor. The previous owner replaced the carpet, the floor feels solid all around, and he made his own seats. They seem to be ok, though they need some better attachment hardware. The engine is a 90 HP Evinrude (anyone know where I can find the data plate?), which starts easily and runs. I figured, a seaworthy hull with a running engine was well worth $1050! There are a lot of cosmetic stuff we need to do, and I imagine I can find all the info I need for that right here! I will get some detailed pictures up tomorrow, and then the questions will begin!

Looking forward to meeting you all, and thanks for the opportunity!
Rick

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats and congrats on the new boat. You're in the right place if you need questions answered about your boat. These guys are great.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

welcome to iboats! I recall a couple of friends having winners back inthe 70's when I was growing up on the water--good ski boat and stable, if yours is the tri-hull. Have fun!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The previous owner replaced the carpet, the floor feels solid all around, and he made his own seats. They seem to be ok, though they need some better attachment hardware.

I don't want to be a downer and rain on your parade, but the above statement would be of some concern to me.

New carpet and seating in a $1000 boat with a running motor is a red flag. Previous owners are notorious for throwing down some new plywood decking over top of rotten decking, stringers, and saturated foam then laying down some new carpet and putting some new vinyl seating to make the boat look way better than it actually is... it's called double decking and they do it to make a quick sale and get rid of a rotten boat. Everything looks pretty sweet on top, but it's actually a pile of festering rot below the decking. We see this ploy many times a year on this forum.

I mention this because you sound like a good guy with a very nice family and I know you would want your family to be safe out on the water.

Take a real close look at your boat, see if you can get below deck and have a look. You should also inspect your transom and the decking around it. Visit the restoration forum on this site and look at some of the fiberglass boat restorations so you can learn what to look for.

southkogs

Staff member

Some stuff on Winners HERE. Welcome aboard.

Falmund

Cadet

I don't want to be a downer and rain on your parade, but the above statement would be of some concern to me.

New carpet and seating in a $1000 boat with a running motor is a red flag. Previous owners are notorious for throwing down some new plywood decking over top of rotten decking, stringers, and saturated foam then laying down some new carpet and putting some new vinyl seating to make the boat look way better than it actually is... it's called double decking and they do it to make a quick sale and get rid of a rotten boat. Everything looks pretty sweet on top, but it's actually a pile of festering rot below the decking. We see this ploy many times a year on this forum.

I mention this because you sound like a good guy with a very nice family and I know you would want your family to be safe out on the water.

Take a real close look at your boat, see if you can get below deck and have a look. You should also inspect your transom and the decking around it. Visit the restoration forum on this site and look at some of the fiberglass boat restorations so you can learn what to look for.

Thank you for the advice. We will be taking a more serious look at the hull interior, for sure. My fears in this regard are fairly low. I live in rural Nebraska, and while I don't know the seller himself, I know some of his family. While that kind of behavior is not unheard of in this neck of the woods, it is very uncommon, especially in the "social caste" that the seller is a part of. Folks don't make it very far in the county if they are crooks. That said, I will be figuring out how to get a good look "below decks" to see what's happening, and what I have to work with for future modifications anyway.

Thanks again!

Maclin

Admiral

Falmund, the real problem is that some think that is a valid way to fix their boat and do not consider it bad behavior.

Good luck, looks like a nice find if it all works out!

Falmund

Cadet

Falmund, the real problem is that some think that is a valid way to fix their boat and do not consider it bad behavior.

Good luck, looks like a nice find if it all works out!

Good point, I hadn't thought of that!

jkust

Rear Admiral

Welcome to the board. Just Curious did you ever use this book or any by the author in your studies?

Transport Processes and Separation Process Principles by Christie John Geankoplis

Falmund

Cadet

Welcome to the board. Just Curious did you ever use this book or any by the author in your studies?

Transport Processes and Separation Process Principles by Christie John Geankoplis

ROFL,Not at this point, though I am familiar with the concepts, I am not familiar with that book or author. I am more of a Physical Chemist myself, so I lean into Quantum Mechanics and spectroscopy, rather than Organic processes. I am very early in the process. My undergrad degree is in Mathematics, so I am still catching up some undergrad work prior to actual grad school. Just out of curiosity, why do you ask?

jkust

Rear Admiral

ROFL,Not at this point, though I am familiar with the concepts, I am not familiar with that book or author. I am more of a Physical Chemist myself, so I lean into Quantum Mechanics and spectroscopy, rather than Organic processes. I am very early in the process. My undergrad degree is in Mathematics, so I am still catching up some undergrad work prior to actual grad school. Just out of curiosity, why do you ask?

Just curious as that author was my uncle and when I run across Chemists, many have studied his work.