16' Hewescraft rivet repair and paint

RonJr

Recruit
I have a 1976 16' Hewescraft River runner with a Johnson 85 and 15 each with props.
I would like some tips and recommendations of how to fix,paint and upgrade this old beast.

First off it leaks... A lot, no rips or huge tears or dents, just a lot of rivets leaking down the center seam.
It leaks so bad I installed a bilge pump and use it 3-4 times when on the water for more than 4 hours.

The boat has never been painted but does have what I think is an old Gloveit coating on some of the bottom, but most is flaked off. It's a greenish goo color.

I would like to stop all the leaks, paint the boat from the rub rail up blood red, and from the rail down gray.
I use it in the Puget Sound (salt water) for crab, salmon, and in the rivers, lakes. I do drag it up on the beach often for some play time with the boys while the crab pots soak. Some time soon I would also like to replace the main prop with a jet it I can find one for a good price. We love this little boat, it works well and is just beat on enough not to worry about scratches, dents, and light abuse from me,the kids and dog. No reason to ditch it for a new one just yet. We have had it for a year or so and did not pay all that much for it, winter fire sale from a construction worker out of work.
So in saying all of that I don't want to dump a ton of cash into it, as I do see us selling it in 3-4 years and upgrading to new all welded version of the same brand.

What I was thinking is to strip the interior locate most of the big leaks, and try some of that west system repair WEST SYSTEM | Metal Boat Repair - Fix leaking seams in aluminum boats with G/flex 650

Then flip it over, re Gloveit and paint with something tuff for beach landings. Problem is I have no idea what to top coat the Gloveit with and still use gray as a color. Is Gloveit my best option for my use? Also do I need to use some kind of marine bottom paint for saltwater use? I have never left it in salt water for more than two days, but do leave it on the Bach at the local lake and would not mind keeping it tied up at the dock overnight if I can fix the leaks.

Then flip it back over and paint the sides blood red like my dodge truck, what should I use for side paint? Rust oleum ?
And last paint the top deck gray and add some non skid strips so I do t fall on my arse any more when it's wet.

Also going to look around for a little cheap top so we can sit out of the pouring NW rain when fishing, heck might even spring for some kind of heater!

Thanks for the help.

RonJr

Recruit
Re: 16' Hewescraft rivet repair and paint

Last crab run out!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1

RonJr

Recruit

At the lake, and the Dodge colors I would like to match

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

Yes, west systems is good however........ GLUVIT is what 90% of us aluminum boat owners have used. I have never had a complaint! Gluvit Epoxy Waterproof Sealer the smaller 2 lb can will do your 16' boat. ;)

The cheapest paint you can use and will last if you trailer the boat is Rustoleum. How long the paint lasts is all in the prep ;) and for a non slip surface you can add non slip to the paint if you feel you need it. It will stand up to fresh and salt water and it's easy to touch up too. You really need to use zinc chromate (which I have found BEST) as a primer on bare aluminum..... Only a light dusting coat is needed and yep, iboats has that too http://www.iboats.com/Moeller-Zinc-...6783131--session_id.550871489--view_id.366646

Props are easy and iboats is probably the largest prop seller in the USA. For a johnson 85 I would strongly recommend a 17" pitch which is a good all around pitch for a 85 on a 16' aluminum boat you can check out props here Boat Propellers for Sale, Stainless Steel Boat Props

Last edited:

RonJr

Recruit

Thanks for the tips and links. Its got a prop now, wanting to change to a jet if I can find a cheap one.

On the Gloveit, should I do the hull as well as the bottom side of the hull?
Should I just coat the seams or do all of the bottom side of the hull?

Thanks
Jr.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Gluvit only needs to be on the seams and rivets. It is not "normally applied to the exterior and is applied from the inside. It can be applied externally and has also been used as a barrier coat on smally lightweight canoes and rowboats used in rocky areas to provide a sliding surface.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Nice little Hewes, rivets leaking are you sure? She looks like welded seams to me. Does it have a riveted on keel strip that has been damaged?

attachment.php