Drain Plug

Walleye Dan

Cadet
Well, talk about a rookie question....no laughing please. How can I gauge when the drain plug is tight enough. Don't want to strip it yet want it tight.

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Drain Plug

I just put mine in finger tight. No reason to get carried away.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

I too. finger tight, have taken pliers and tighten just a speck more,,, dont need to crank on it. What I would suggest is that you get a second one and keep it inside the boat, just in case you misplace one.. dont want to get to water and release you dont have a plug..:eek:

UncleWillie

Captain

It only need to be tight enough to not leak, and not fall out.
Finger tight, plus another 1/4 turn, is way more than enough.

Walleye Dan

Cadet

I too. finger tight, have taken pliers and tighten just a speck more,,, dont need to crank on it. What I would suggest is that you get a second one and keep it inside the boat, just in case you misplace one.. dont want to get to water and release you dont have a plug..:eek:[/QUOTE

Thanks. I've seen these plastic hand tightened and wondered if they would get it tight enough. Looks like the answer is yes.

thumpar

Admiral

My plug is an allen head. I put it in with the long end of the allen key spinning it with my fingers and then use the short end to tighten around 1/3 of a turn. Mine is brass also.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

I wouldnt go with a plastic plug...Brass only and as the others have said finger tight + a 1/4 turn

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

It only need to be tight enough to not leak, and not fall out.
Finger tight, plus another 1/4 turn, is way more than enough.

UncleWillie you read my mind!

Also mine is inserted from the inside of the boat.

Last edited:

Walleye Dan

Cadet

I mistated the "plastic Thing" I saw a plastic hand held socket type device used to install the plug not a plastic drain plug. The plug is brass like all the others.