1998 Crownline 20' open bow

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here's the link 1998 Crownline 202 BR Openbow

I've always known Crownline but never really looked into them. How are these boats? Would you rate them with a Sea Ray or more of a Cobalt, Chaparral, Chris Craft? Going to look at this one tomorrow hopefully and then a Chris Craft (see my other posts) on Friday.

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1998 Crownline 20' open bow

From what I can tell Crownlines generally have a reputation as a solid middle-of-the-pack runner. (Cobalt is probably going to rank near or at the top.) As far as production problems on certain models or years, I would have no idea. There is a Crownline only forum here on iBoats ( Crownline Boats ) that might be worth perusing, or by doing a google search you can find an independent Crownline boats forum or two.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Cobalt 1st, Chapp / Chris 2nd, Crown a tight 3rd, and Sea Ray in order of my pref... ALL are decent if properly maintained..

thumpar

Admiral

crabby is about right with the order except sea ray is usually not that great when it comes to their smaller boats. I have the 1996 version of that 202 BR. We LOVE it. It is very well built. If you have any questions about that model let me know.

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

crabby is about right with the order except sea ray is usually not that great when it comes to their smaller boats. I have the 1996 version of that 202 BR. We LOVE it. It is very well built. If you have any questions about that model let me know.

yes please share! only 2 years difference, they gotta be pretty similar!

thumpar

Admiral

yes please share! only 2 years difference, they gotta be pretty similar!
They made the 202 BR until 2006 with only some very minor changes. The hull stayed the same. Mine has the 5.7l EFI with Bravo drive. Here is a bigger version of my avatar.

The kids like it too.

oldjeep

Admiral

This - a small Searay is a small Bayliner with fancier trimmings ;) Nothing wrong with either but I sure wouldn't pay much of a premium for the Searay.

thumpar

Admiral

Another nice thing about the 202 BR is that the beam is 8'6". Most boats of this size are usually 8' or less. It adds a lot of room and is more stable.

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another nice thing about the 202 BR is that the beam is 8'6". Most boats of this size are usually 8' or less. It adds a lot of room and is more stable.

what's the difference between the bravo and the alpha?

thumpar

Admiral

what's the difference between the bravo and the alpha?
The Bravo can handle more HP and speed. Mine was a custom spec build and the buyer wanted it. It uses an engine driven sea water pump and has a cone clutch. They are usually found behind engines bigger than the 5.7l.

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Bravo can handle more HP and speed. Mine was a custom spec build and the buyer wanted it. It uses an engine driven sea water pump and has a cone clutch. They are usually found behind engines bigger than the 5.7l.

ok gotcha, so it's basically the big brother of the alpha. and the alpha scooting this 5.0 for my ad I posted is perfectly sufficient and not being "overpowered" from the 5.0...

thumpar

Admiral

ok gotcha, so it's basically the big brother of the alpha. and the alpha scooting this 5.0 for my ad I posted is perfectly sufficient and not being "overpowered" from the 5.0...
Basically yes it is a big brother. A 5.0l will be fine with an Alpha. They even put 350 MAGs behind an Alpha which is 300hp.

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is this boat worth in good condition?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Well that is the $10,000 question isn't it?

I think its a decent price, not a great price, if that boat is in great condition, then it moves up to a good price, but there is no way of knowing from the information given so far, you have to go look at it, if the boat is in great condition then you should be prepared to make a deal since it will not last.

Keep in mind that boats that have been taken care of will demand a premium price, Crownlines are a better manufacturer with quality practices so if it has been taken care of you should be ready to act fast.

Put a deposit down and be prepared to set up a test ride and close the deal.

Keep in mind that good boats do not last long on the market, if you are not familiar with boats take a friend who is, be prepared for everything, including turning away.

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, another guy is comin today before I can get outa work to get there and look at it. According to the seller the buyer already has 2 boats and is looking for another because his wife wants one...sounds like he's got an open wallet. Anyways if that's all true, then I'm assuming the boat will be gone by the time I get off work...well find out in a few hours.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I put the Sea Ray at the bottom of OPs list. If he had a bigger list it probably would have remained at the bottom unless Bayliner was on the list..

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guy who came and looked according to the seller walked away cuz he didn't come with the cash as he didn't expect it to be that clean for the age. Kinda sounds odd, maybe the seller is trying to push a sale fast. I deffinetly don't wanna buy without a sea trial but if it's super clean as he's making it out to be, would it be worth purchasing without a sea trial? In which case I'd buy tonight.

oldjeep

Admiral

If the guy is like me when I sold my old boat last month - boat is for sale until cash is in my hand and the title is in your name. Too many tire kickers to be holding boats that sell fast.

Buying without putting it in the water is always a risk, but the guy who bought my boat just had me fire it up in the driveway (also an incredibly clean boat). I bought my Malibu in Feb without ever starting it too ;)

Last edited:

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

hmmm, maybe a lowball of like 8000-8500 as is without water trial?!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

No it is not worth purchasing without a sea trial, make arrangements in advance, be prepared. If he doesn't want to do a sea trial walk away.

Like oldjeep says boat is for sale until the seller has money in hand.

If you like it and are ready to deal the next thing you should say is where can we put it in the water? If the seller doesn't think you are serious before that he will after.

If you decide to lowball you are on your own.

Last edited: