Marine Adhesive for Hatch Cover

wakerider09

Seaman
What is the best adhesive to use for gluing the plastic support/swing arm to the glass hatch cover? In my cabin, the support arms that are used to prop the glass hatch open have come off, the adhesive that was previously used has dried up and failed and I now need to reattach the support to the glass.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Marine Adhesive for Hatch Cover

What is the best adhesive to use for gluing the plastic support/swing arm to the glass hatch cover? In my cabin, the support arms that are used to prop the glass hatch open have come off, the adhesive that was previously used has dried up and failed and I now need to reattach the support to the glass.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

You could try 5200 or VHB tape (The AdvanTec Store: Tape, Double Sided, VHB, 1" Wide, 3M, Select Size (Foot or Roll)).

It may also be possible to drill some holes (tile cutting or diamond tip bits) and use screws and some rubber grommets.

A glass place may drill the holes for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What about rear view mirror glue?

Slip Away

Lieutenant

11kukDQVY%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This product needs UV (ultravolet) light to adhere. The sun is a good source. For best results the glass needs to be clear enough for light to pass through.
This product works best on non porous materials.

Last edited:

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

4200 would be best as not under the waterline where 5200 or SIX10 would be needed.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

4200 is out of it's element when bonding glass to plastic. Marine adhesive is not required for this application.

Bondo

Staff member

4200 would be best as not under the waterline where 5200 or SIX10 would be needed.

Ayuh,... but ain't 5200 known as the ForEver glue, no matter where ya put it,..?? :lol:

I ain't got an answer,...
I once had my mirror fall off the windshield of my pickup,...
bought the glue, did the routine,... it fell off again,...
Pulled into a local Windshield Shop, 'n went to the garage to find an install Tech,...
He came out, stuck it on, 'n said "Have a Nice day, see ya",...(it's still there btw)
I flipped 'im a $5., 'n told 'im to have a beer on Me,...

Maybe a trip to a Windshield Shop could work for wakerider09,....

Slip Away

Lieutenant

4200. Formulated to allow for disassembly of parts.

I believe the OP's intent is to re-assemble , in hopes of it NOT coming apart again.