Bennett Trim Tab Gauge Accuracy

Zteven

Cadet
How accurate are everyone's Bennett Trim Tab gauges? Mine is not accurate at all and only reads through half the travel of the actuator. Is this normal?
Trim - 0% Down.JPG
Trim - 50% Down.JPG
Trim - 70% Down.JPG
Trim - 100% Down.JPG

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Re: Bennett Trim Tab Gauge Accuracy

Can't speak for "everyone" on the planet that these are accurate throughout their useful life, but for myself, the trim gauge was never accurate. I rarely used it, just went by feel of the boat and duration of pushing the trim buttons. I would say it is normal, unless you just installed the tabs and gauges at 8:00 P.M. last night.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

I do not have gauges. Possibly since the first part of the travel is not really in the water, if installed correctly? For me the first probably 25% of the travel is still not doing much as I installed them 5/8" above the line of the hull?

Have you reached out to their customer service? Tabman is awesome to work with.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

Can't speak for "everyone" on the planet that these are accurate throughout their useful life, but for myself, the trim gauge was never accurate. I rarely used it, just went by feel of the boat and duration of pushing the trim buttons. I would say it is normal, unless you just installed the tabs and gauges at 8:00 P.M. last night.

I have the electronic indicators. It indicates about one third deployed before any effect is felt. I trim by feel of the boat and then note the indication. Then I can reset the trim by setting it to the previous indications. I don't care what the actual tab deflection is, just that the boat rides ok.

I disconnected the auto stow feature. This way I don't have to reset the tabs every time I shut off the engine. The tabs are off the back end of the trailer so I am not worried about landing the boat on them if I forget to wind them all the way back up before retrieving the boat.

Zteven

Cadet

The gauge has read this way since new (6 months now). Bennett believes there is an issue, however, my dealer says this is common and will not provide support.

This is actually a "wake plate" on a surf boat. The issue is while I'm surfing the tab needs to be adjusted to 'feel' the best surf wave; this can only be felt by the person surfing, not the driver. Since I'm surfing and not in the boat, I need to communicate with the driver to raise / lower the position of the tab. It is easy to communicate a numerical position of the trim tab to achieve an ideal setting between up and down. Having the gauge read inaccurate makes this difficult.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

sounds like Bennett should speak with your dealer.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Much different than standard trim tabs, which is what I assumed you were asking about. Disregard what I said, it does not apply in your situation.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

I have the EIC Bennetts. The indicator seems pretty accurate to me, but they have a calibration you can perform on them if they get off.

Ssobol I connected my auto retract to my trim tab switch for the same reason as you, but I can fip it off if I want them to auto retract. Mine have to be retracted to trailer the boat though.

OP Bennett makes a kit to add the EIC to existing Bennett Tabs so you may want to check into that.

Last edited:

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

The gauge has read this way since new (6 months now). Bennett believes there is an issue, however, my dealer says this is common and will not provide support.

This is actually a "wake plate" on a surf boat. The issue is while I'm surfing the tab needs to be adjusted to 'feel' the best surf wave; this can only be felt by the person surfing, not the driver. Since I'm surfing and not in the boat, I need to communicate with the driver to raise / lower the position of the tab. It is easy to communicate a numerical position of the trim tab to achieve an ideal setting between up and down. Having the gauge read inaccurate makes this difficult.

Can you tell me the brand of the boat (and is the boat only 6 months old or did you buy it used 6 months ago). Also can you please measure the total stroke for me? Lastly was the system installed at the factory by the boat builder, or is it one of our aftermarket kits installed by the dealer?

Let me know and I will be delighted to see what I can do to help.