Recarpet vs traction mat

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have an '86 Ranger 373V and the carpet is starting to show it's age. I've thought about putting some new carpet down, but I'm now leaning towards a traction mat instead of the carpet. I'm curious what others think of this. The boat is silver and red metallic.

This is a link to the stuff I'm thinking of using. Red/black might look sharp.
Kids bath Tub Mats, INVENTED BY MOM for kids, bath

What I'm worried about is what would it do to the resale of the boat as I am currently somewhat trying to sell it. Obviously, new carpet/mat would help, I just wonder if people might prefer the carpet over the mat.

While here, I'm also thinking of using the white/grey stuff on a pontoon boat that I have and am planning on keeping. I worry the white/grey may be too bright out in the sun. Thoughts there as well!!

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: Recarpet vs traction mat

When it was time to replace the carpet on my previous boat, I opted for vinyl flooring and never regret it. Much easier to clean by hosing it and, being textured, it's also somewhat anti-skid. You can do a search for "Nautolex vinyl flooring"...

Last edited:

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Recarpet vs traction mat

Even though I had snap-in carpet in my boat I laid down some closed-cell EVA foam (which is what the tub mats you have linked seem to be) and have vowed to never have carpet in the open-air part of a boat again. I recommend finding a vendor that will custom cut for the specific application. Much neater look.