Chris Craft Boats - 2001 20'

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've always heard that Chris Craft were very quality, nice boats, but is this really true? How bout earlier ones like the one in the ad listed 2001 Chris Craft 20ft ? What are these things worth?

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Chris Craft Boats - 2001 20'

Looks like it is in decent shape and the price seems to be in the reasonable range - low side of NADA.

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like it is in decent shape and the price seems to be in the reasonable range - low side of NADA.

Those were my thoughts as well. Is this brand still a "top cherry" brand as I've heard it to be back in the day?

oldjeep

Admiral

Those were my thoughts as well. Is this brand still a "top cherry" brand as I've heard it to be back in the day?

It is 13 years old - brand is not relevant, only condition. Looks like it weighs around 2800lbs, so that says that weight wise it is closer to a Chaparral than a Bayliner.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

C*C quality fluctuated over the years depending on who owned the brand. My 1999 24' (owned by OMC at the time) was VERY well put together. The brand was sold to Genmar when OMC went belly up in 2000. Genmar turned right around and sold it again to the current ownership (Stellican Ltd), which makes top-notch boats under the brand.

Chances are the 2001 is a 'good one' but it's 13 years old and you should have it surveyed. It'll cost 2-3% of the asking price. Well worth it IMO.

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like the guy would let this thing go for 10. sounds like that's be a pretty sweet deal if it's as clean as described and appears in the ad.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've got the same boat in a '99 and I love it. All the pads have synthetic backings (no wood) and the deck as you know is self bailing which is a huge plus. Looks to be in great shape.
Definitely hire a surveyor and have them check it out or inspect it yourself if you know what to look for.

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got the same boat in a '99 and I love it. All the pads have synthetic backings (no wood) and the deck as you know is self bailing which is a huge plus. Looks to be in great shape.
Definitely hire a surveyor and have them check it out or inspect it yourself if you know what to look for.

There's no wood anywhere in the boat? And what is "self bailing"? I'm new to boating and this would be my first boat, I've searched around before and seems familiar with how to remove outdrives and replace sea pump impellers(on a mercury). How are these Volvo pentas in doing this?

edthearcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

very sharp boat, good price, drive before you buy, than decide

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Can you explain some of your comments? What are the 'pads'? My '99 Had a wood cored transom. Don't know about the stringers as I never had a reason to drill into them, but there was definitely wood in the construction.

The boat the OP linked to does not appear to have a self-bailing cockpit. I'm sure it has rain channels and drains around the engine hatch, but that isn't the same thing. A self-bailing hull has several large scuppers that lead substantial amounts of water directly out of the cockpit and straight overboard.

My .02

Last edited:

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

ouch! Just got off the phone with the guy and was able to pry at him with questions. I'll just go down the list. Boat has a lotta hours, around 1300; engine replaced 5 years ago and has about 400-500 hours on it, sounded like a long block because his mechanic told him using 87 octane gas wasn't smart and with the high hours it should be changed; sounded fishy but he has paperwork so i'll skim through that when I look at it. Something with outdrive and the "breakaway" was messed up a few years back when he hit something, so something with the "breakaway" was replaced?! Bellows and gimble done last year mid season. Owner claims boat appearance is great. Kinda makes me leary from his description. Outdrive isn't "tip top shape" & nice n' clean, has paint chipping off. Makes me think he didnt' pressure wash it and/or keep it washed and waxed. Only way to tell is to look at it which im going to on Friday; kinda gotta feeling I'm in for a downfall when I arrive though. The high hours and stuff make me wonder...

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I've owned 2 boats now with the V-P package (SX drives- same as that boat) and have no idea what a 'breakaway' is. I supposed he could have damaged something in the trim system, but if it's fixed, it's fixed. 400-500 hours on a motor is not a high number by any means. If it has a problem, it isn't because of the hours. Where's the chipped paint on the outdrive? I don't see it in the pics and it might not mean anything.

You need a pro to check that boat over for you.

Last edited:

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can you explain some of your comments? What are the 'pads'? My '99 Had a wood cored transom. Don't know about the stringers as I never had a reason to drill into them, but there was definitely wood in the construction.

The boat the OP linked to does not appear to have a self-bailing cockpit. I'm sure it has rain channels and drains around the engine hatch, but that isn't the same thing. A self-bailing hull has several large scuppers that lead substantial amounts of water directly out of the cockpit and straight overboard.

My .02

I'm sorry to not have used the proper terminology - on the back of all the bolster pads, flip up seats, read deck, etc - they all are made with synthetic materials instead of wood. Its like a hard plastic but you can drill into it.

The deck I referred to as self-bailing as there are passages as you said which help the water drain off the deck and down into the bilge where they are pumped out - not exactly self-bailing (sorry) as it would be in a center console, but that was the best term I could find to concisely describe a solid fiberglass deck with channels to run the water off and down into the bilge vs a carpeted deck w/out drains.

To add a couple of other points, I've examined the underside of my deck and found no wood there either. Also, there was a thread a couple of months ago with someone with my same boat in a 1998 I recall who claimed to have spoken to CC about the build - their response was that all the stringers were fiberglass or synthetic with no wood. I've never drilled into my transom but I've not found any wood on my CC at all - not in the seats, deck, bolster pads, dash...not anywhere. I'd say if tapping the transom doesn't result in a low, dense thud and there are no spider cracks in the gelcoat, its likely fine. You can always ask the seller if you can run a test drill bit but if I were selling my boat in the condition he was, I wouldn't let a buyer do it- just not enough reason to question it IMO. You could always remove a couple of the screws which hold the pitot / speedo hose down and see if there is mush behind them.

Last edited:

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...Something with outdrive and the "breakaway" was messed up a few years back when he hit something, so something with the "breakaway" was replaced...

...I've owned 2 boats now with the V-P package (SX drives- same as that boat) and have no idea what a 'breakaway' is...

The Volvo Penta SX drives have a Kick-up function which releases the drive if it grounds or strikes an obstruction in the water. Only works in forward - no help in reverse!

Reference - page 33 of the Volvo Penta 3.0 gs through 5.7 Gsi "Instruction Book".

Last edited:

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

... how to remove outdrives and replace sea pump impellers(on a mercury). How are these Volvo pentas in doing this?

The outdrives remove easy (as long as they are not seized) - remove the prop, six bolts, and the shift cable and it comes right off. The impeller is part of the water pump on the bottom front of the engine - not easy to get to IMO on our boats but its no reason not to purchase!

There used to be manuals for the SX drives posted in the adults only section - I'm sure some folks still have working links. I'd be happy to email what I have to you as well.

Here is some good reading info - http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/vp-357328.html#post2360521

I'd go and look at it- ask for records to prove the engine swap though - the engine does looks like it was replaced though from the pics....also a plus that it likely never saw salt water being so darn far away from the ocean

Last edited: