Windshield cleaning

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
windshield.jpgWhat is best to clean this windshield with. The owners manual says not to use regular glass cleaner. I have been just using warm soapy water but was wondering if there was something else that could be used. Thanks in advance. Tom

Last edited:

jestor68

Commander
Re: Windshield cleaning

So what does the owner manual specify to use?

Warm soapy water sounds like a good idea.

kylestratos

Recruit

use motorcycle windshield cleaner and polish...meguiars works great. I refinish headlights and use this stuff on the final buffing stage and it restores optical clarity.

airshot

Rear Admiral

It is probably polycarbonate plastic and regular window cleaner with ammonia will cause it to craze. Use those products for plastic windshields as suggested in prior post. Soap and water first to get the dirt off without scratching then a plastic polishing formula. I use rainex plastic window protectant as the water just beads and runs right off and harmless to plastic windows.

Thalasso

Commander

The best cleaner out there is a 50-50 mix of 70% rubbing alcohol and distilled water. Some window cleaners have ammonia and some do not. The ammonia is the killer. If you ever had aftermarket tinted windows they tell you not to use window cleaner with ammonia on them.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If it's Glass I would suggest windex and 0000 steel wool and rub lightly with a wet glass and the steel wool. If it's anything else such as plastic I would get some plastic polish at a motorcycle shop.