Anchor line storage spool

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
I'm having a hard time searching online for a way to spool up my anchor line, can someone post a product for this, or a do it yourself solution.

I currently just lay the line on the deck

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Anchor line storage spool

buy one of those plastic thingies made for 100-150 ft long extension cords and wrap your anchor line around that

Not an original thought ^^^, from elsewhere online.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Flake the line in a bucket or milk crate.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

(Extension cord storage reel)
...quote wasn't capturing your whole post

I thought of this, I was searching for them online before posting this but couldn't find one that was both plastic and looked rugged enough. Do you know of any people have used?

I might just buy one and try it, i can use if for my extension cords at home if it doesn't work

Last edited:

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Check out your local Lowes or Home Depot. They should have several in stock. You can get a better idea of their durability by actually picking one up than by looking at them online. Check a local electrical supply store too, or even Wal Mart.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

hore reels in a box from garden centers--but that takes up a lot of room--good for a yacht or pontoon. If you can't stow it, milk crate or bucket and leave it loose. If you use a bucket, either put a hole in it, or spread the line out to dry when you come home.

Thalasso

Commander

I use the electric cord reel (HD) for my 125 ft line for going through locks. Works fine. Anchor line? Not so sure because your using more line and maybe larger dia.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Great thread. I have 300' of line and will only use about 60' and was wondering what to do. I like the bucket idea(with hole drilled in it), below deck.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

A 5 gal bucket works very well and is easy to move around.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

i dont understand what the bucket is for, do you just coil it up loose in the bucket?

I bought an extension cord reel today for $8. all plastic so no rust, but real slimsy im gonna give it a shot and build a better one out of wood if it works out.

I also grabbed a free empty plastic wire wheel from home depot where they sell custom length wire in case i build my own

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yes the rope is lose in the bucket and ready for instant use, if you get good rope it wont knot and will run out of the bucket smooth.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

don't coil the rope but rather pile it in the milk crate randomly ie however it falls..... the crate will hold a couple hundred feet and it won't tangle......it will feed out smoothly just as fast as you can pull it.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I would worry about anchor line on a reel not drying properly. A reel is definitely the least bulky way to store line, but you'd have to dry it thoroughly before storage. I try to dry my line before storing it in a ventilated plastic milk crate, but sometimes it's inconvenient and the dry cycle gets shortchanged. I rely on the vented crate to help prevent mildew that I'm sure you'd get with a reel. - Grandad

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

is this for your 18' boat? seems like deck space would be a premium

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use the milk crate. It fits under the deck and I take it out and all those little holes allow the rope to dry.

Bulldawg1990

Recruit
Just caught on to this posting as I was trying to figure out a way to store the anchor rope on my little 12 foot aluminum boat. This thought just came to mind. I am going to Home Depot and get some bolt mountable rods/bars that I can attach to my boat. I figure if I get two that act as two arms that I can wrap the rope around, should be good for easy rolling and might look neater than having the rope sitting on the floor of my little boat. Here is a link to the type of rod/bar I am talking about at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Heavy-Duty-Padded-Arm-Hanger-18042/202305548
If the link doesn't work, go the Home Depot site and look up "Heavy-Duty Padded Arm Hanger."

Once you look at this Arm hanger, you can probably visualize better what I am talking about.

This method may even fix the issue some have mentioned about whether or not the rope will be able to dry out. Also, I will attach a boat cleat near the arm holders so I can tie off the rope if I am ever anchored.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
I use a 3 gallon bucket, easy to move around and the line runs out smooth.

Last edited: