Mildew problem

95roadking

Cadet
Living in Fl. I have a 18 ft Lund Tyee. I keep it covered outside. Problem is I get a lot of mildew from all the dampness down here. Thought about leaving it uncovered to eliminate the dampness?? Cover is not totally waterproof as it's old. Keeps the dirt out tho. Any ideas.to stop the mildew???

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Mildew problem

Two thing will cause your mildew. 1.is dampness and 2. is dirt. The mold needs something to grow on.
A new waterproof cover that breathes (sunbrella) is what you need. You can leave the cover off but then you have a lot of dust and leaves

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

You can refresh that cover by first cleaning it with 303 Fabric and Vinyl Cleaner, then spraying it down with 303 High Tech Fabric Guard with Water Repellent. It's the same stuff the Sunbrella folks recommend for their materials to renew waterproofing. I use it on my non-Sunbrella cover and never get a drop of water in my boat from rain. It sits in the driveway 24/7 unless I'm riding in it in the Intracoastal.

So that's the first part of your problem... keeping it from getting worse.

Last edited:

Slip Away

Lieutenant

6327_DAM%20Prod%20-%20FG01%20300g.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Notice that mold and mildew never lives in a dry environment? You absolutely positively have to keep all moisture out of your boat or suffer the consequences. The above suggestions are very good and you should try them. Maybe even put a tarp like roof over your boat allowing air to circulate would help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

leaving your lund Tyee covered with a non-breating, non-weather proof cover is a quick way to rot the wood in your floor, transom and seats. Mildew and dampness is the first step to rot.

my first choice would be to garage keep the boat. however if you do not have a garage, then you need a cover that breathes and is water proof.

My boat does not fit within my garage, so I am forced to cover the boat. my cover needs to be cleaned 4 times a year and waterproofed after I clean it.