2001 Chaparral 180SSE

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any idea what this outdrive is all about? Owner says it was replaced 3 years ago via insurance for theft. Boat has around/under 200 hours and claimed to be solid. Thinking about offering 6000-6500; worth it? Hasn't been run in over a year. Winterized in 2012 end of season, never ran in 2013; still sits like that DSC04867.JPGDSC04868.JPGDSC04869.JPGDSC04870.JPGDSC04871.JPG

briangcc

Commander
Re: 2001 Chaparral 180SSE

Based off the pic, I'd say aftermarket outdrive, possibly rebuilt by the guys/gals on the sticker? Just a guess but your I/O shield has a Merc sticker so its got to be interchangeable with Merc. As to the quality, can't speak to it as I'm not familiar. If it survived 3 years, my guess is that it should continue to give you good service as long as the maintenance has been kept up on it.

Would it scare me off? Nope, not in and of itself. I would recommend a sea trial to confirm it runs and doesn't leak. Check the bellows as it could have dry rotted just sitting there. And of course fluid levels & conditions.

How's the rest of the boat outside of the outdrive? Any floor issues? Condition of carpeting/seats? Trailer? It's a 13 yr old boat so go into it thinking you're going to have to do some sort of work besides the motor and be pleasantly surprised if you don't.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Looks to be in average shape if it is a salt water boat given the rust in the engine bay. I know a lot about that particular generation of Chaparrals if you are interested in informed opinions. That drive is the cheaper replacement drive to the Mercruiser Alpha 1. Either they kept the difference between the Mercuriser and the cheaper option installed there or they didn't have insurance.

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Please do share your chaparral input!
Looks to be in average shape if it is a salt water boat given the rust in the engine bay. I know a lot about that particular generation of Chaparrals if you are interested in informed opinions. That drive is the cheaper replacement drive to the Mercruiser Alpha 1. Either they kept the difference between the Mercuriser and the cheaper option installed there or they didn't have insurance.

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Worth a shot, but the boat is worth around 9K

it's listed for 7500 right now; but like I said hasn't been run or "summarized" for over a year. My bargaining point is that, as well as any rubber components such as impeller pump, gimble, etc. being dry rotted. As well as any other possible rot from poor storage for such a long time. The list goes on of problems with a boat that's left to sit....from what im learning anyway.

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

this boats on consignment at a dealer. owner selling the boat via dealer claims outdrive is only 3 years old (just out of the manufactures warranty I see on their web site) with barely 3 hours on it. i questioned rubber components such as bellows and sea pump impeller, which according to what i've been told thus far have never been changed as their only 3 years old...about time to replace isn't it? owner started at 8500 last year and is now listed down to 7500. my major concern is the fact it's been siting so long. I'm gonna try and take a look at this thing on Saturday (4/26), what things should I look for on a boat like this that's been sitting for a long period of time without use? I would not buy without a sea trial of course. Also fyi to everyone, this is my first boat and I plan on maintaining myself. I take care of my trucks myself and am pretty mechanically inclined; watched some guys r&r an outdrive once, didn't seem to bad; so with that being said, keep in mind i'll be attempting to do most the work myself.

here's the link
http://boats.iboats.com/chaparral-180sse/1371977.html

Last edited:

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone have suggestions as to what I should look for on on this boat as it's been sitting all last season (2013) & not run since 2012? What kinda things should I pay attention too that one normally wouldn't think of...

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Here's a great post that is more or less a check list...

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topic...help-buying-boat-buyers-checklist-635170.html

WATER in the structure will be your biggest nemesis, so look for any obvious signs of water infiltration in decking, stringers, transom and floatation foam.

$7,500 seems like a fairly good starting point IF there's nothing but routine maintenance? I'd suggest a marine surveyor? $200-$250 may save you thousands?!

GLWP!

~Brett

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW!! Went to look at the boat today, what a beaut! First thing I did was go to the outdrive, looked good! Lotta scum buildup in the inner part towards the transom where bellows are located. Scum on bellows too. Started movin the outdrive side to side to get a look at bellows, exhaust one was torn, so assuming the drive shaft one isn't far behind it...ok these need to be changed. Prop needs to be serviced, no chunks missing, but all beat up! Hull looked great! No cracks, chips, spidering, etc. In my beginner boaters, limited knowledge opinion, the hull was great! Above the rub rail the color was starting to "cloud" a bit, nothing server though. Moving inside; all compartments seemed good n' dry; considering it's been covered up since summer last year. Pulled up the ski locker, lil wet in there...damp almost I'd say. But couldn't find any wood, it was all fiberglass to the eye that was visable. Floor seemed solid, back in transom was solid too...couldn't find any wood, and all looked good visably. Then started looking at the engine, looked good for sitting over a year! Owner didn't seem to do much maintenance as the plug wires were, im assuming original, mercruiser wires. Engine was still clean and had the "shine" to it(glossy paint surface). Just needed a good cleaning. Moved to the other side of the engine and all looked well over here I thought! Then I noticed the nice water stains on the side of the block....oops there's a nice crack! With that being said, the owner doesn't sound like they wanna put any money into the boat from what the saleswoman described. They lowered the price 1000 since fall 2013, and haven't used it since 2012. Plus they only came in 1 time to cover it in the winter, didnt' even have a winter cover! My questions are how much is a new engine for this thing...3.0L. Is this thing worth it if I could steal it for $1000?! The sales lady is gonna call her motor guys to take a look at it and confirm everything I pointed out; then she's gonna call the owner, and then she'll keep me in the loop with the whole thing. I asked her to quote me a price for an engine...parts only and i'll swap it myself. Anyways how much should these things run, engine alone or having someone do the whole job? Obviously off the bat we know it'll need an engine & bellows. Since the outdrive off it can get a sea impeller pump, u-joints if needed.

Wadda your guys thoughts.

oldjeep

Admiral

Are you sure the exhaust bellows was torn, or were you just looking at the openings that run along the bottom of it?

Bondo

Staff member

Is this thing worth it if I could steal it for $1000?!

Ayuh,.... I'm guessin' you'll be into it for 'bout 4 or 5 times that when ya hit the water,...

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,.... I'm guessin' you'll be into it for 'bout 4 or 5 times that when ya hit the water,...
I real quick called one local dealer and they quoted about 5000 with whole job on the high end. Included a new exhaust manifold worst case, also includes bellow job. Engine alone long block was 2400.

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral

Summer is almost here...you'd want to buy it and get the engine and bellows replaced quickly to get it ready in time. If it were me, my money and my time, I would select one of the other million boats for sale right now in the sweet spot of the year for boat availability in the under 20 foot bowrider category. While there aren't a ton of Chaparrals out there compared to the mass produced boats, I'd have no problems in your shoes with many of the other mainstream brands. The Chaps tended to spoil you in amenities and finished details (especially the year after your subject boat when they went to the new hull and interior designs) early on then, many of the other brands caught up a bit later. Where Chaparrals are concerned, the one model they make that is merely Chaparral in name only is the exact one you have written about. Every single boat they produced from the model one up from your 180SSE is in a different league as the 180SSE was their get you in the door boat. While you are comparing the 180SSE to other brands it will seem great but is a far lesser boat than the 183/190SSi. (While their LOA is the same the hull weighs 850lbs less than the 183/190SSI with just the base 3.0 power). If you've happened to stumble upon the Chaparral brand with your search you stumbled upon what in the early to mid 2000's was a forward thinking manufacturer difficult to match with other mainstream brands but just happened to be looking at their one and only low end boat they produce as 2001 was a transition year from old school to new school sort of. Now days, pretty much everyone offers similar amenities even if the build quality isn't all the same. If you like to be spoiled with what will now be a low cost boat given how old they are now, I'd seek out a 2002 or newer 183/190SSi. If not then there are lots of other brands.
Given I'm not sure where your budget ends, I don't know what you consider inexpensive.

vipertblck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Summer is almost here...you'd want to buy it and get the engine and bellows replaced quickly to get it ready in time. If it were me, my money and my time, I would select one of the other million boats for sale right now in the sweet spot of the year for boat availability in the under 20 foot bowrider category. While there aren't a ton of Chaparrals out there compared to the mass produced boats, I'd have no problems in your shoes with many of the other mainstream brands. The Chaps tended to spoil you in amenities and finished details (especially the year after your subject boat when they went to the new hull and interior designs) early on then, many of the other brands caught up a bit later. Where Chaparrals are concerned, the one model they make that is merely Chaparral in name only is the exact one you have written about. Every single boat they produced from the model one up from your 180SSE is in a different league as the 180SSE was their get you in the door boat. While you are comparing the 180SSE to other brands it will seem great but is a far lesser boat than the 183/190SSi. (While their LOA is the same the hull weighs 850lbs less than the 183/190SSI with just the base 3.0 power). If you've happened to stumble upon the Chaparral brand with your search you stumbled upon what in the early to mid 2000's was a forward thinking manufacturer difficult to match with other mainstream brands but just happened to be looking at their one and only low end boat they produce as 2001 was a transition year from old school to new school sort of. Now days, pretty much everyone offers similar amenities even if the build quality isn't all the same. If you like to be spoiled with what will now be a low cost boat given how old they are now, I'd seek out a 2002 or newer 183/190SSi. If not then there are lots of other brands.
Given I'm not sure where your budget ends, I don't know what you consider inexpensive.

Thanks for the info! That's good stuff. Anyways my budget was ideally around 8-9 range, to be comfortable. This thing popped up as it sits now and I started thinking, offer 1000 on the boat and if he takes it, worst case i'll have around 5000 for a marina to do the engine and bellows job, OR I do the work myself and save thousands. Worst situation im only in the boat about 6000! Surely this thing is worth more than 6000 isn't it(in proper working sea worthy order)?