What Type Of Anchor Rope?

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
I have had a number of power boats in the past but don't remember having an issue with anchor rope tangling.
I am now fishing with a kayak and a small 3# anchor that holds the kayak really nice in the lakes I fish.
But the rope I am using, a 3/16" line, is really a mess and tangles like crazy.
I guess I got lucky in the past buying rope as like I said I did not have a problem.
So what type of rope should I be using that does not tangle?

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What Type Of Anchor Rope?

Braided nylon will coil easily and lie flat. Doesn't float. - Grandad

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Here's 280' of 3/8" braided nylon in a milk crate. - Grandad

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer

OK, thanks, that looks a lot like what I used years ago.
Now if I can find some here in the mountains of AZ or I will have to order some.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Now if I can find some here in the mountains of AZ or I will have to order some.

I bought a spool right here and the price beat everybody else's. It came in 3 days.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, or most any hardware store or lumberyard. If your far enough up in the mountains, it's likely your local gas station/bait shop may even have some. It's pretty common stuff. Sold by the foot. Hope this helps!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

also, leaving it loose such as in a box or can, rather than coiling it, prevents a lot of tangles. Or, if you carry 75' but typically only use 10', coil and tie off all but 10'.

Splat

Lieutenant

The trick to preventing tangles as I've found is keeping track of both ends of the line. If I can tie off the tag end, I can shove it anywhere I want and it comes out easy as pie with no tangles.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

For your situation, get some bulk bungi cord! My primary anchor rope for my 17.5' boat is bungi. Works great, and works somewhat similar to a chain on the anchor, it helps absorb shock. In your case, bungi is hard to tangle, and you also don't need as much since it stretches... (although don't know how much stretch you will get with a 3 pound weight, mine is a 15# anchor.)

(note, although I've never had it actually break, the strength of bungi is WAY below rope. I wouldn't recommend it for larger boat or overnight anchoring. The OP has a kayak, 5:1 scope and anchor chain isn't really a requirement!)

Last edited:

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try Outdoor Sports, on Valley Rd., on east side of PV.

Glenn

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

95% of the time if your anchor line tangles it's because of HOW you store it and not the type of line..... get a small bucket... tie the tag end to the bucket and just loosely pile the rope in it ... not coiled or anything neat at all... as long as you don't shake it up or otherwise disturb the pile, it will play out just as easily as it went in

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

GRANDAD.. your milk crate drawer is a thing of beauty... looks factory... very nice