1986 20' bayliner capri i/o open bow

buddy203232

Cadet
I am considering buying this boat. They are asking $4000. Can you let me know if this is a good boat and what I should look for in buying the boat?

Thank you for your help.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1986 20' bayliner capri i/o open bow

Welcome to Iboats

there are three very important aspects to buying this boat.

One is where you intend to use it. That design is fine for small freshwater lakes but not for coastal boating (including the Gulf, Great Lakes and saltwater bays such as the Chesapeake) nor is it good for shallow water.

The other is its condition. As boats go, that's an old one, and that style boat can be prone to serious structural problems arising from age and mild neglect, and those problems are seldom obvious to the untrained eye. No matter what the price, they are not worth fixing. Then, besides the major problems, there is a long list of things that typically fail in old boats that need fixing.

Finally, there is the power plant--condition, size, and obsolescence. Even if it is working now, you need one for which you can find parts and mechanics who can work on them.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Welcome.

Generally that is too high for that old of a Bayliner. Everything Home Cooking stated is accurate. You have a link?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Hi and welcome to iboats.

Many will tell you to just walk away. It was not a high quality boat to begin with. However, if you or somebody you know, knows how to insure that the hull, stringers and transom are in good shape (no water infiltration) it could be a decent boat. How is it powered, and what make of outdrive does it have? Also important to know as many drivetrain packages that old are obsolete/unsupported and parts can be hard to find.

Is this your first boat? Where do you live? Where (what kind of water) do you boat?

jkust

Rear Admiral

What he said above. Which engine/drive is on this subject boat and where are you located? Prices vary by region tremendously. Given I have a similar Bayliner, I can tell you that quality was generally in line with its very entry level price. There would be a lot of considerations for any boat that old.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

if it is this one, no.

1986 20' BAYLINER CAPRI I/O OPEN BOW 8-10 PERSON

he's trying to justify the higher price with lots of extras, calling it 'premium'. Also no mention of mechanics other than a recent service, with the basics completed.

And while 8-10 people may physically fit in the boat it is 6 people tops, 4 people if you want to spend a day having fun..

oldjeep

Admiral

if it is this one, no.

1986 20' BAYLINER CAPRI I/O OPEN BOW 8-10 PERSON

he's trying to justify the higher price with lots of extras, calling it 'premium'. Also no mention of mechanics other than a recent service, with the basics completed.

And while 8-10 people may physically fit in the boat it is 6 people tops, 4 people if you want to spend a day having fun..

A 2.3L in a 195 - I think you meant hell no ;)

The engine is obsolete and way underpowered, not sure what the drive is

gstrom11

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice investigative work Redneck Joe. lol

Have you come across any other boats you had interest in? Nice to see all of your options.

buddy203232

Cadet

I have come across a couple of 19' ones. The problem I need to be able to pull it with a minivan and I know the hitch is rated for 3500 lbs.

buddy203232

Cadet

I am looking for about a 20' boat for under 6000, is this realistic? Sorry for all the questions but I am new to boating and don't want to buy a piece of junk.

Thanks for all the help.

Also is there a way to set up the account so when someone posts on the thread it shoots me an email. I am sure I am just not seeing it.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

It sounds like you may be coming into the list of unresolvable conflicts that we often see in "boat shopping" questions.

You want more boat size than your tow vehicle or budget can handle. And as said before, unless the passengers are under 10 years old, the capacity plate's max number of passengers is not comfortable and will adversely affect performance. Leave half of them on the shore. Or weigh them; the passenger number is based on 150# people if I recall correctly.

Go for smaller capacity. If you take all 10 adults out trapped on a lake all day in the summer, with all their stuff and yours, I can assure you that none of those 10 will come back to do it again!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

that one will be way under powered - 4.3 at a minimum. First, for it's size second it will be wet, somewhere, so add a couple hundred pounds. Looks like a Volvo Penta, which I hear is good (never owned one) but getting older and more expensive for parts.

For $4-6k there are lots of better boats out there. Nothing against the Bays I've owned 4 but have to get any older boat that has been well taken care of and was powered right form the beginning.

so to paraphrase oldjeep, hell no. If you could pick it up, running, for $1000 maybe. Maybe.

buddy203232

Cadet

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I will definitely keep looking then. And if I find something else I will definitely throw it up here to get more opinions.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

this guy apparently knows nothing about boats except to pay someone else to do the work, which is a good thing. Never heard of a 5.8 motor and recauking the engine

92 caravelle 20ft open bow 4800. 5.8 v8

1987 22' century cuddy

that was just city of chicago on a two minute search - expand to all areas and you will find many more.

Spend some time here, learn about boats, do not be afraid to ask because if you are you will be asking later when you are trying to fix something you missed when buying. We've all been there, don't be shy.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

As a comparison, I had a 87 2150 Capri Cuddy with a 5.0L engine. I sold it to my neighbor 12 years ago for $2500. It was in very good condition. I did give him a very good deal an may have been able to sell it for $4K but this was 12 years ago and my boat is a bigger boat than the one you are looking at.

EDIT: it is possible that the boat in the ad is the same length. Bayliner was very sneaky with their model numbers. 2150 is actually a 20.5' boat. 5.0L in my boat was adequate power. I would not have gone less.

Having owned one, I would not buy a Bayliner from the mid 80's to early 90s.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral

I think your tow limit is a bigger factor than the budget when it comes to a 20' boat.

buddy203232

Cadet

Thanks again. I appreciate the links.

Does anyone have experience towing a boat with a minivan? Anything I should be aware of?