bilge pump

cevans211

Recruit
recently purchased a 1994 bayliner capri 1700 ls and everything works but the bilge pump. didn't come with an owners manuel so im not sure which fuses to check or what type of fuse to replace it with. looks like theres a blue 15 and a red 10 hooked to it now but the fuses look good so idk what to do any help??

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Re: bilge pump

Make sure your bilge switch is passing voltage and make sure you have a good ground

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

Have you physically inspected the condition of the pump and float. When I got my last boat, the pump was frozen, but all else appeared good. Replaced pump and float and all worked great. This after checking for voltage at switch as has already been suggested.
recently purchased a 1994 bayliner capri 1700 ls and everything works but the bilge pump. didn't come with an owners manuel so im not sure which fuses to check or what type of fuse to replace it with. looks like theres a blue 15 and a red 10 hooked to it now but the fuses look good so idk what to do any help??

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

Did you test this with a multimeter, or just visually? The connections can look good but be corroded and not be making a connection.
looks like its grounded good but I don't think any voltage is going thru

Last edited:

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Remove fuses to inspect.
blown fuse.jpg

Get a 12vdc test light to test the switch. Connect clip to ground and touch point to terminal on switch. Activate switch and test light should light. Follow circuit to bilge pump.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Just touch the pump leads to a battery for a few seconds and see if the pump turns on, do this before the switches and fuses so you know the electricity is going directly to the pump. If the pump kicks over you have other problems, but if it doesn't then you know it is a pump problem. By the way....may I recommend using two pumps, one never knows how long one will last. I have twin batteries and twin bilge pumps on my boat.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Another thought, in a 20 year old boat, the bilge pump may have been rewired by a PO. That can lead to all kinds of problems. I'd start at the pump and work my way through the circuit, checking for corrosion, cleaning contacts, etc...