broken anti cavitation plate

splatter

Seaman
My anti cavitation plate has a big chunk broke out right at the trim tab . Its a piece about 6" long . Will this cause a problem ? I have the broken piece but it looks like cast metal and I don't think it can be welded .
Thanks

robert graham

Admiral
Re: broken anti cavitation plate

Sure it can be welded, filed, ground smooth and painted....take it to a good local welder who has aluminum experience....

thumpar

Admiral

Most prop shops can do repairs like that. The only problem is they need to be careful with the heat because of the parts inside. A prop shop should have experience with this.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

It absolutely cam be welded. I had mine done and after I filed and sanded and blended it in and primed and painted, I darn anybody to know where it was broken out...

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you are on a budget, you can "weld" it back in place with JB Weld. Although a shop will charge you less than $100 anyway, just out of curiosity I decided to repair a 6" piece that broke off my cavitation plate and several years later it was still in place with nothing but JB Weld.

Its not the "right" way, but I was impressed at the holding strength of the JB weld.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral

The only problem with JB weld is if it does fail you loose the missing piece in the lake.