Skeg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Skeg

You might just want to leave it because if you try to straighten it, it will likely break. If it's just bent to the side, it's not going to matter except for looks.

Have a picture?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Needs to be professionally repaired, and I wouldn't leave it that way.

oldjeep

Admiral

Cut the bent part off and put a skeggard on it. Just be aware that the next time you hit something that hard with it that you'll likely really break something.

thumpar

Admiral

Take it to a prop shop. A friend broke his completely off and it was around $100 to get it fixed. Skeg guards are a bandaid and look bad in my opinion.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Since it has a twist in it, I would get it fixed. If it was just bent to the side I would leave it. Depending on the method of fixing it, they may need to take your lower unit apart. Heating that area will get transferred to the internals including seals.

oldjeep

Admiral

Take it to a prop shop. A friend broke his completely off and it was around $100 to get it fixed. Skeg guards are a bandaid and look bad in my opinion.

Look bad? you spend a lot of time looking at the skeg when boating?

thumpar

Admiral

Look bad? you spend a lot of time looking at the skeg when boating?
Mine is trailered. It is out of the water probably 99.9% of it's life. It is a 1996 and has less than 600 hours on it.

Last edited:

Expidia

Commander

Or a welding shop. I've taken a chunk out of mine skeg twice already. Weld shop makes it look just like new each time for like $75.
I hate trailering with a prop that has the paint chipped off it too. Whenever a boat passes me on the highway and their skeg is broken or their prop has paint off it . . . tells me now there's a worse boat driver than me :)
Painting the prop makes me look like I know how to drive the rig. So what if my welder is on a first name basis with me :D

Just finished repainting mine and my daughter's prop. A work of art!

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral

Or a welding shop. I've taken a chunk out of mine skeg twice already. Weld shop makes it look just like new each time for like $75.
I hate trailering with a prop that has the paint chipped off it too. Whenever a boat passes me on the highway and their skeg is broken or their prop has paint off it . . . tells me now there's a worse boat driver than me :)
Painting the prop makes me look like I know how to drive the rig. So what if my welder is on a first name basis with me :D
Get an SS prop. They are pretty shiny even after you run them through a little sand. :)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Just finished repainting mine and my daughter's prop. A work of art!

Or.............. the guy who has a bunch of paint missing from the prop actually uses his boat and the guy who's prop looks new rarely uses his boat....... Maybe that's what they think.......:eek::laugh:

BTW, nice job on the prop.... :)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I agree with Bruce, a simple bend is best ignored but the twist should be fixed. That and a bent prop is like wheels out of allignment; the vibrations will wear out the rest of the parts.

Sometimes you can try to straighten since if it breaks, you have to get it fixed anyway. you put a solid heavy flat surface on one side and tap with a hammer on the other--like an anvil.

I don't understand the trailer boat set's concern about what a boat looks like on a trailer. Same ones who freaak out about old bottom paint. To me, the boat is a means to an end, so I focus on boating more than the boat itself. And contrary to the guy who looks down his nose at signs of a well-used boat, around here, anyone with paint on his skeg is regarded as someone who doesn't do much boating.

Expidia

Commander

I don't understand the trailer boat set's concern about what a boat looks like on a trailer. Same ones who freaak out about old bottom paint. To me, the boat is a means to an end, so I focus on boating more than the boat itself. And contrary to the guy who looks down his nose at signs of a well-used boat, around here, anyone with paint on his skeg is regarded as someone who doesn't do much boating.

Home Cookin' . . . is this your rig that you are talking about, it passed me on 95 . . . It had Norfolk tags on it ???

:) :eek: :D