Boat Storage and Parking

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Boat Storage and Parking

I built a garage with an attached house. When the 5-car garage got full I built another in the back yard and ran a separate driveway to it. The second garage holds 3 boats, but I can fit the boy's 2 jetskis in it for Winter with a little moving around. The garage out back really didn't cost that much either.

Its all a matter of pay me now or pay me later. Inside storage means the tires last a lot longer. And the boat(s)!....ha....it'll last almost forever. The big one in the main garage is 31 years old and the oldie in the back garage is 62 years old.

P5122969web.jpgP6030008web.jpg

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Basically my thought with the mulch is a filler so I don't have to mow. I'd be using something like the fiberglass I have to be right under neath the tires so they wouldn't sink in. If I end up doing it I'll for sure take pictures. I got a better idea than I did 2 days ago.

Gotchya, that would work......

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Realistically I'd like to do gravel. Problem is I can't get a dump truck behind my house. I'm currently looking for someone with a dump trailer or a trailer with sides. I'd totally be willing to even pay for it but I'm having problems finding anyone. So at the moment I'm at a stand still.

oldjeep

Admiral

Realistically I'd like to do gravel. Problem is I can't get a dump truck behind my house. I'm currently looking for someone with a dump trailer or a trailer with sides. I'd totally be willing to even pay for it but I'm having problems finding anyone. So at the moment I'm at a stand still.

Dump on driveway and use wheelbarrow. Same way we had to move 10 yards of sand when the kids were little

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

in the barn.jpg
Cleared out the grass and added asphalt type gravel, then rolled it down flat and hard. Packs good and solid with good drainage.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dump on driveway and use wheelbarrow. Same way we had to move 10 yards of sand when the kids were little

Yeah that'd take forever and I don't want to do that much work. Really I don't want the dump-truck even going on my driveway. They recommended if I wanted it delivered dumping at the road, and that's just not feasible because where I need to put it is on the very back of my property.

gstrom11

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Edit: Thought the previous post was yours, and you got it done this weekend. LOL

Keep us updated.

edthearcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my main boat i store in a heated building over the winter, but this dosent answer your question, at my cabin i have a 16 ft. jon boat which i leave out side. i remove the motor 6 hp , jack my trailer up to get the tires off the ground support it with jack stands. in the summer because its grass have 2 2x2 sheets of ply wood when i park it i get the tires on the ply wood hope this helps

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was having another thought today. My brother in law builds metal buildings. He has ton of the metal left over in random lengths, usually long. the under side of all of them is white. I thought about flipping them upside down and laying a pad out. That way the ridges are also down, from the weight they'd just push into the ground and i'd be able to mow right up to it. It's not going to be beautiful, but it would be clean at least. Just a thought. Essentially it would just be killing the grass and keeping it from being a random dirt spot. Metal would last a long time and if it ever wore out I can get more.

agallant80

Commander

I keep mine down by the lake. Its $45/month and I would spend more then that in fuel if the boat were stored at the house which I can't do anyways because I live downtown in an urban area, don't have a driveway and have some public housing a few blocks away.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I went to the same lake all the time I'd probably just store it there as well. I think I'm just going to figure out a way to do gravel. Still waiting to get it back from the shop. Until then I'm sure my brain will just still be racing with ideas.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm kinda late to the party here but might offer a suggestion that works well for me. I purchased one of those metal carports then just placed a couple treated 2x12's directly on the ground to distribute the load and keep the boat centered under the canopy (only place it fits correctly). It works great for my application.
boadport.jpg

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think I'd use the tin/metal. It is slick and very sharp on toes.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I keep mine in the garage on the trailer in the off season and then on the boat lift under a canopy during the on season. Trailer sits in the yard at the lake then in the summer. It will have sat in the garage right about 7 months on the tires touching the cement with full gravitation force.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm starting to wonder if maybe I shouldn't worry about this so much. Reason being I'm thinking that maybe I want to store the boat under a hard cover during the winter. I have a nice cover for it, but would like that to last. I can rent covered parking down the road for $55 a month. I figure I'd store it 7-8 months, and the rest of the time I can keep it at my house which would mostly be the summer when I'm using it and moving it regularly.

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another thought would be to lay green roll roofing down under the boat and trailer. Put concrete pavers for tires to sit on and the roll roofing will keep the grass from growing. You can mow right over the edge of it and spike it down if need be.

just a thought as I had a neighbor do this once.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Another thought would be to lay green roll roofing down under the boat and trailer. Put concrete pavers for tires to sit on and the roll roofing will keep the grass from growing. You can mow right over the edge of it and spike it down if need be.

just a thought as I had a neighbor do this once.

I guess....

Once I saw a guy rip the asbestos siding off his house and then hammer it to small pieces and make a driveway pad so he could park his derelict rusty car. Looked real nice, but then again the neighborhood didn't look much better either.....LOL. Come to think of it the new siding never got fully installed either.

ZBS401

Recruit
looking at buying 2007 proline 23ft with tee top and idk if it will fit in the largest bay of my shed, on trailer, which is almost 10 ft high

jbcurt00

Staff member
looking at buying 2007 proline 23ft ...
This Topic is just over 90 days inactive, best to let it remain inactive until the member that started it does an update.

It'd be better to start your own Topic about your pending purchase.