Monterey Speedometer not working

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm trying to figure out how to start troubleshooting my speedometer on my 2002 Monterey 190 no working at all. The original owner said it use to work and just quit one day. My boat has less then 100 hours on it. Now, could a fuse be blown for this or are these not electrical just mechanical ? Ive attached a pic of the dash and the sensor which i believe to control the speedometer ? Just trying to figure out where to start.
Thanks....

pefghoto.jpgphoto789.JPG

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Re: Monterey Speedometer not working

Pitot tube clogged?

I have a different set up with Alpha One outdrive.

Last edited:

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

On the pick up tube in the back of the transom there is a hole in the plastic arm.........check to see if the hole is cloged up.

The way it works is... it pushes water in the hole and creates presure and push air to the speedo.

Take the rubber line off and blow air in the line and see if the speedo moves...if so the speedo is good. When mine went bad i just replaced the pick up tube on the transom. Alls good now!

Slip Away

Lieutenant

No pitot tube on our boat. Speedometer pick up is in the alpha one outdrive. The pickup that connects to the tubing fitting is just in front of the lower shift shaft, right behind the flat aluminum anode plate. When I get the boat out of storage, I will take a look at that area and see if the fitting is loose, or needs replacing. On both of our boats, I suspect the tubing to the speedometer is fine , it's in the pitot tube or drive fitting that is causing the issues we are having I suspect.

52174d1294559519-speedometer-stopped-working-alpha-genii-speedo-connector.jpg

For OP, checkmate's recommendation is spot on. Pitot tube's are cheap to replace if your's is failed.

Last edited:

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the pick up tube in the back of the transom there is a hole in the plastic arm.........check to see if the hole is cloged up.

The way it works is... it pushes water in the hole and creates presure and push air to the speedo.

Take the rubber line off and blow air in the line and see if the speedo moves...if so the speedo is good. When mine went bad i just replaced the pick up tube on the transom. Alls good now!

Great, i will give that a shot. Thanks

UncleWillie

Captain

Hard to tell by your picture, but it look like your Pitot may just be kicked up.
These things don't get much simpler.

Pitot2.jpg

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its pointed down, just hard to tell from the pic. I will grab the boat this weekend and start troubleshooting it. Thanks !!!