Bottom paint question

dcartie

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, I have a bottom painted with bottomkote nt that has lasted about 2 summers in fresh water and In need of new paint. After scraping any peeling paint and sanding with 80 grit, is it ok to just pressure wash the bottom to clean it or do I need the special thinner? I wanted to just garden hose spray it but figure pressure washer will get all the remnants. After I'll be doing the 2 coats of paint. Thanks!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Bottom paint question

I always just paint over the old paint; if it's peeling there was a problem with the initial bonding

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Like HC, I just clean it up and paint over the old stuff. At some point, if the bottom is really a mess, you might have to take it down to the gelcoat and start over with new barrier coat and antifouling, but for regular seasonal prep a repaint is fine.

dcartie

Seaman Apprentice

There's just a small area that was peeling (maybe a problem with initial bond like you said). Otherwise was in good shape but in need of a new coat. Thanks!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Get as much as possible off with the pwasher ,wait a few days and hit it again.That will get enough loose paint off .Just paint over the spots that dont have paint first and then go over the entite bottom.Charlie

dcartie

Seaman Apprentice

Update - sanding and cleaning/prep of bottom went well (and messy). With the old paint dust making it into my full face hepa mask. First coat of interlux bottomkote nt went on and dried with an almost "splotchy" look. Is that the way it is supposed to look before the second coat g

dcartie

Seaman Apprentice

Update - sanding and cleaning/prep of bottom went well (and messy). With the old paint dust making it into my full face hepa mask. First coat of interlux bottomkote nt went on and dried with an almost "splotchy" look. Is that the way it is supposed to look before the second coat goes on and makes it a uniform black color?

Also it was a dry (cool) and lightly windy day so drying was a problem. Interlux says thinning the paint is not recommended but u can use special thinner 216 or brush ease 433. They do not say how much to use. I only want to extend the dry time a very little. Any recommendations?

Thanks!