97 Regal Valenti 23 construction

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am interested in a 97 Regal Valenti 23 with a 5.7 merc. Reportedly it was used in fresh water only. Does anyone know if these boats had wood stringers or transom? I am worried about rot and would like an all glass boat for my next boat.

I also plan to use the boat for water sports. We currently ski behind a 21' boat and are very satisfied other than is is underpowered with a 4.3l. Will a 23' with a 5.7l pull a skier reasonable well?

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Re: 97 Regal Valenti 23 construction

The boat does have encapsulated wood stringers, and a wood transom. This one is not all glass.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't think many late 90's brands are wood free (or really any) other than maybe Bryant or some Donzi's?

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is what I thought - too bad. Seems like a nice boat. Probably worth the extra cash to get a newer used boat that is all glass and has a fuel injected motor. Guess I will keep looking.

I was also considering a 21' 2002 Chaparral with 200 hrs on the 350 V8 and merc drive. Turns out is was used in salt water so I am a little leary without know the boat history.

Thank-you for your input everyone. Much appreciated.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I would not limit your search to all glass boats. you will find very little selection. Look at boats with wood, but
due diligence at inspection time can tell you it's condition. There are far more boats (old and new) out there
with wood in them than those without. Personally, I would not by an all glass boat myself.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would not limit your search to all glass boats. you will find very little selection. Look at boats with wood, but due diligence at inspection time can tell you it's condition. There are far more boats (old and new) out there
with wood in them than those without. Personally, I would not by an all glass boat myself.

I currently own a 1990 boat with a wood transom and stringers. I have had no issues so far, but have not been able to check all my stringers. Stupid question - How do you inspect stringers if you can't see them?

Slip Away

Lieutenant

A moisture meter will detect any moisture in the boat structure. Marine surveyors regularly use them when doing a survey.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class

A moisture meter will detect any moisture in the boat structure. Marine surveyors regularly use them when doing a survey.

Thanks-I did not realize that a non-intrusive moisture meter could penetrate that deeply from the outside of the hull. I have tried sounding or pneumatic checks, but found it unreliable (largely due to my inexperience) around the chines on my Larson. Thankfully I have found no evidence of significant rot yet.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That is what I thought - too bad. Seems like a nice boat. Probably worth the extra cash to get a newer used boat that is all glass and has a fuel injected motor. Guess I will keep looking.

I was also considering a 21' 2002 Chaparral with 200 hrs on the 350 V8 and merc drive. Turns out is was used in salt water so I am a little leary without know the boat history.

Thank-you for your input everyone. Much appreciated.

I wouldn't limit yourself to those items, Wood boat worked for Columbus!
It is really all about care/ maintenance. I backed off on some of my requirements when I found my latest boat as it seems solid (wood) and clean VS. something newer but beat.