Cooler Radio

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I know this isn't "boat specific" necessarily, but it will be on my boat and campsite pretty much every weekend.

I had a free weekend to waste, and originally had plans to buff and wax the boat but the 40+mph winds make any outdoor event just total mayhem. So I put the cover on the boat and (45min later) took it back to storage. Time to find a garage project where I can enjoy the sun and temps and not the wind.

I have a float trip coming up, and we talked about having some tunes for the 8 hour commute. Ive seen cooler radios before but didn't know too much about them. There are several manufacturers online, but prices get pretty high pretty quick, and none were really laid out the way I wanted. So I began my own research...picking ideas from several different models. 12 hrs later, here is the result.

20140412_191054.jpg
20140413_135848.jpg

For the cooler, I personally wanted one with a split lid and wheels. Wheels are self-explanatory, and the split lid I wanted so that the electronics wouldn't get exposed every time someone reaches in for a beer. This is a 60qt Rubbermaid cooler I happened to find at Home Depot.

The radio is a Clarion CMS-1. It has a commander module that is separate from the radio body and completely waterproof. That way the radio body can be mounted in a secure dry location. It can do AM/FM/Weatherband as well as AUX-IN and USB. Also has a line-out for an amplifier. Speakers are Kicker KM6000 marine coax speakers. I have bought and sold Kicker products for years and always had great luck with them (plus found a heck of a deal for 4). I also laid down some silicone sealant around the speaker holes before mounting the speakers. The idea was to make the exterior splash-proof from the front and sides, as well as rain-proof from above. I'd be very surprised if I failed that part.

Battery is a Duralast Gold Lawn & Garden battery from the advice of bloggers who built these coolers in the past. However I am going to change to a Kinetik HC600 soon. Much smaller and more amp-hrs for the same price. I also used a rocker switch in the top left corner of the front face (not yet installed in top picture) for power on/off. I installed a toggle latch for the left side lid that way it stays down unless I purposely want to open it.

Most cooler radios are just full of wiring and electronics and cannot be used as a cooler anymore. I didn't see the point of this and set out to make mine functional. The divider board is a cutting board from Walmart. Took measurements of the interior and cut it to size. Then mounted a couple wood blocks to support it with, and finished it off with silicone sealant. I have some waterproof speaker backing cups from Poly-Planar in the mail that will cover and protect the speaker holes. The cooler side is 100% separated from the electronics side, and able to fully hold ice/water and cans.

There's still about 35qts of usable space left, and with the small battery the weight is no worse than having cans and ice in that compartment. I haven't run this battery down yet, but according to my math it should be able to run a little over 6 hrs at half volume (which is surprisingly louder than it needs to be). I'm no fan of being rude to others with loud music so it will be kept at moderate levels most of the time. Can't wait to test it out and see what else I can do to modify it! I have plans right now for an LED light on the lid so that I don't accidentally grab a cheap light beer at night in the dark :D

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Cooler Radio

Guess I don't see the advantage of combining two different items, or the downside of having a separate cooler and radio???:confused:

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I see a large advantage in combining two large items into one. One less thing to load, unload, carry around, keep an eye on. I also do not know of a portable radio capable of producing volume levels anywhere near this one, for anywhere near as long, that is also weatherproof.

shrew

Lieutenant

How many hours of music and beer can you get out of that thing? I like the idea, but if the justification is to reduce what you have to lug around, what happens when you're out of beer and music? Music volume in exchange for beer is a steep price to pay.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How many hours of music and beer can you get out of that thing? I like the idea, but if the justification is to reduce what you have to lug around, what happens when you're out of beer and music? Music volume in exchange for beer is a steep price to pay.

We almost always have 2 coolers and no radio on float trips and campsites. I.E. plenty of beer but no music. Now we have 1.5 coolers and a nice radio capable of playing for 13+ hours with the new battery on order. Seems like a happy medium to me.

Streffpilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ME LIKE!!!!! I built a radio out of a plastic battery box. It worked out very well. I like your idea better.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Funny I found this thread of my first radio cooler from a couple years ago. Well, I just finished radio cooler version 2.0!

The first one was great but this one is much better. Half the weight with twice the power, completely rain/splash/spray resistant inside and outside, only one small hole inside the cooler, Bluetooth line-of-sight range of ~75yds, and 12v socket on back doubles as a charge port. LEDs can do different brightnesses and modes, and interior LED turns on only when the lid is open. Bottle opener soon to come
1f37b.png
Almost no cooler space was sacrificed because the electronics are mounted in the lid. The volume capability is almost unbearable, but at normal listening levels it will run about 15 hours.

20170414_205542.jpg

20170414_210152.jpg

20170414_210616.jpg

20170414_211102.jpg

20170414_211609.jpg

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Usually when you get combination setups such as a cooler with speakers either one or both are poor quality or garbage. There are a number of quality battery or rechargeable portable speakers out there. I have a Bose (not cheap) that puts out really great sound and is quite portable. There are dozens of other quality brands too. I use my ipod via Bluetooth and my Bose speaker camping, boating , the beach or where ever. I suggest getting an ice chest to keeps things cold and a separate speaker.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Usually that is the case, especially true for my first model. But that's far from the truth this time around. You wont find a portable speaker with half the volume of this setup, and it won't compare in battery life. The cooler also keeps ice for 4 days in the kansas heat. All rolled up into 1 light easy to transport unit.

Brandon5778

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow, I love it! Always wanted to do something like this for bonfires down in the woods at my grandma's. There's no power so keeping loud music for hours is tough. Usually someone (me) ends up with a dead truck battery. What kind of amp you got in there? And what's the est. total cost of version 2, excluding price of the cooler?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
The volume capability is almost unbearable, but at normal listening levels it will run about 15 hours.

I'm sure it is.

but how loud do you need it to be and still be able to hold a conversation with and enjoy the company of the people you are with?

Or are you actually trying to drown them out ? :)

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Wow, I love it! Always wanted to do something like this for bonfires down in the woods at my grandma's. There's no power so keeping loud music for hours is tough. Usually someone (me) ends up with a dead truck battery. What kind of amp you got in there? And what's the est. total cost of version 2, excluding price of the cooler?

The amp is a clarion xc2410. It's a compact marine amp which is perfect for something like this, but there are plenty of other amps like it. Total price was around 500 bucks, not including manual labor so that depends on how much your time is worth šŸ˜‰ the speakers are the strongest you'll find in the marine market which isn't necessary at all, and could be a money saver if you went with normal speakers.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm sure it is.

but how loud do you need it to be and still be able to hold a conversation with and enjoy the company of the people you are with?

Or are you actually trying to drown them out ? :)

Absolutely true. Normal listening volume is somewhere under half power which also helps battery life. Having the power capability is nice sometimes. I play in summer softball leagues for example, and everyone loves having the cooler by the dugout and the outfielders can hear it no problem.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I applaud your ingenuity. And I love music as well. But it isn't my cup of tea when I'm on a boat fishing. And that is because I like the solitude and quietness out on the water myself. But to each their own. That is what makes this world great.