Vertical vs. Horizontal Windlass?

wakerider09

Seaman
Thought I would start a new thread on this... what are the primary differences between vertical and horizontal windlass? Is one better in any particular situation? I am looking to outfit a 250 Doral SE with a windlass unit, and am looking for feedback on what model/make and design would be most suitable for lake cruising where depths range from approximately 20-40'.

Thanks.

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Vertical vs. Horizontal Windlass?

Either type will accomplish what you want. It just comes down to dollars and cents. I have a Lewmar/Maxwell and other then periodic maintenance have no issues. There are better ones like Good (brand name) but big bucks. 20-40 ft is no big deal on a lake.

There are two configurations: vertically mounted with the motor and gear box below deck and horizontally mounted with everything above deck. Each type has a few advantages and disadvantages.

The advantages of the vertically mounted windlasses is that they allow the anchor rode to come aboard at almost any angle , they take up considerably less deck space and the motor and gear box are below deck, protected from the weather.

The disadvantages are that they are harder and more costly to install and service. They also take up room below deck in the forepeak where space may be at a premium.

The advantages of the horizontally mounted windlasses are that they are offered in a wider range of gypsy variations, are easier to install and service and do not interfere with space in the forepeak.

The disadvantages are that the anchor rode must travel in a direct line from the bow roller to the windlass often necessitating the windlass to be mounted off center which sometimes look out of place. They also take up considerably more deck space and totally exposed to the elements.