1997 Klamath Stinger value - can I get a price check

1Lhorn

Cadet
Looking for a first boat for fishing I ran across this. My original intention was to get an older Starcraft or a cheap Valco, Gregor or Klamath as a starter boat then eventually get something like a Lund Rebel if I use the boat enough to justify it.

I will be checking out the boat this week. Owners indicate it was only lightly used. Sounds nice but I have no idea of value. I like the galvanized trailer because I may use it in the western delta which can be brackish. I also want a 4 stroke so I have the option of using it in Lake Tahoe.

I believe it's a 97 boat bought new in 99 with a 99 Mercury 25hp 4 stroke.
Thanks for any thoughts on it's value. Here on the west coast, Klamath seems to hold it's value pretty well but I"m not familiar with this model.

1997 15 ft. Klamath Stinger

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1997 Klamath Stinger value - can I get a price check

For a 17 year old boat, I'd say that the price is quite high. My guess would be it's close to what it may have cost new. May be worth 1/2 or bit more but just my opinion. No way I'd pay that kind of money for a boat that old.

southkogs

Staff member

+1 That price is pretty high for my area (YMMV). The boat might be a decent boat, but price isn't.

1Lhorn

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. I had a sense that the price is a bit high and certainly more than I am willing to pay, but I'd like to consider making an offer. I am new to this so have no real knowledge of value but have seen a lot of boats on sale on CL. I recognize that what people ask and what they sell for can be very different.

The most barebones 1970's aluminum (bench seats no deck etc) 12-14 foot with old motors, old trailer and few perks (oars and maybe a trolling motor) seem to average $1500 (asking price)

Similar boat, barebones, but a bit newer and with a newer motor, perhaps down riggers, seem to average $2-3000 asking price.

Very late model boats in great shape seem to be listed for 3500-5000.

Again I don't know if there are realistic prices. My thought is offering 4K? Is that still too much?

There was a similar Starcraft boat for sale recently (live well, deck, steering console, 25 hp 2 stroke, painted trailer) that was listed for 2650 dollars. I called about it but it sold within 5 hours of being listed. I think that was a steal.

I don't need to get a steal, just don't want to pay way more than anyone else would even consider.

Thanks

southkogs

Staff member

$4k still feels high to me, but if it's in REALLY good shape it could be worth paying it. I'd personally want to be closer to $3k depending on the boats condition.

Kinda' hard to dial it right in from a single picture.

NYBo

Admiral

The 25 HP motor would give me pause. Sounds underpowered to go along with overpriced.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

That guy is asking WAY too much. If it was in excellent shape (with maintenance records and a cover) .....maybe $2800 ........ that is an entry level package which is under powered too. It is rated for 45 hp max and the 25 is only 55% of the power and you should be at 70% or better.

Offer the guy $2500 and be prepared to walk away.

1Lhorn

Cadet

Wow, thanks for the replies. That's an eye opener. I thought it might be overpriced but not that bad. Either everyone else thinks it's overpriced too or maybe the seller is firm on their price. Makes me less interested in taking a look. I don't want to deal with the drama of an upset seller looking at a 3K offer as a low ball. I'll email and feel it out.

Thanks.

1Lhorn

Cadet

I apologize. ONe more thing. Are NADA prices considered accurate? If not do NADA prices tend to be too high or too low?

Looks like their recommendation on the value of this boat (about $3010) is indeed much lower than the current asking price for an average boat. Giving the seller the benefit of the doubt that this boat is much better than average condition, their price would still seem to be way off.
Just wanting to know in case I want to make an offer and have some justification for why it is so much less than their asking price.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes for anyone who is curious.

southkogs

Staff member

I apologize. ONe more thing. Are NADA prices considered accurate? If not do NADA prices tend to be too high or too low?
Not as much a tendency for high or low ... more just off from "regional reality." Craigslist is honestly a pretty good barometer.

1Lhorn

Cadet

Went to look at the boat but didn't talk money. It's what I expected. Nice boat, with some wear but not what you might expect given it's age. Hate the interior color but it's not a deal breaker. Everything is in good usable shape. The thing that shows it's age is some of the carpet is warm thin. Buying a boat this old I knew there would be some issues.

It's got a transom mount trolling motor but there is also an apparatus that allows you to mount a bow mount. Having looked online at brand new boats, I'm a little surprised that there is not a whole lot of storage on this boat.

I will talk with the boss and likely come up with an offer. As Southkogs mentioned CL somewhat sets the barometer for pricing and these are some of the Klamath boats in the price range:

Klamath 17' Aluminum Boat
14' Klamath Aluminum Boat & trailer
Klamath 14 Deluxe
Sale-Custom 14 ft. KLAMATH FISHING BOAT For Sale
2005 15' Klamath Advantage with 25 hp Mercury
14' Aluminum Klamath Fishing Boat 20hp Honda Motor

Most of these are cheaper but also less desirable for my needs.

southkogs

Staff member

^^^ Yikes! That's some pricey tin!

I like the looks of the '05 15'. I'd likely pay for that before the '97 you first posted.

Though, I do like the "custom" 14' with the umbrella's for biminis. Clever advertising.

1Lhorn

Cadet

Yeah you'd get some pretty funny looks with those umbrellas up.
That 05 15 foot is a nice looking boat. That nice carpet really makes the carpet in the boat I'm looking at look pretty ratty.

I got some pics of the boat today but I think the megapixels are too much to post here. The pricing around here is crazy. I think NADA is very low for this market.

southkogs

Staff member

Could you do a little better driving 2 or three hours to buy? I bought my boat about 5 hours from home.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Could you do a little better driving 2 or three hours to buy? I bought my boat about 5 hours from home.
My thoughts too. If you are willing to buy then you should be willing to travel for it.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

CoE lakes require life vests on all when under way on boats under 16'. When that came into effect boats under lost value if near CoE lakes. Most 16'ers are now around 16'2".

I might pay $3K for that setup for my grandsons to use as the 25 hp would be speed limiting.

1Lhorn

Cadet

Thanks as always for the replies and advice. I have been looking well outside my area on CL too. When I search CL for "Starcraft" or "Klamath" CL suggests surrounding areas like Monterrey, Modesto, Sacramento, etc. So I think it's fair to say that I've been searching an area for than 2 hours from my home. The prices are very similar unfortunately. I think the SF bay area is very expensive so even in the less expensive communities, they see boat prices in our area and use that as a gauge for pricing their stuff.

Still waiting on the seller to answer a question I had about the motor then I might make an offer. I'll be much lower than asking but more than $3000.

I was originally looking for a nice Starcraft that I could fix up, but having been pretty busy lately, the "turn key"-ness of this boat is appealing.

Thanks

southkogs

Staff member

...I was originally looking for a nice Starcraft that I could fix up, but having been pretty busy lately, the "turn key"-ness of this boat is appealing.
I hear that.

Sometimes it goes that way market by market ... ya' make the best deal ya' can.