How to Install a Windlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakerider09

Seaman
I just purchased a 2003 Doral 250 SE and am looking to install a windlass on this boat. I am looking for your thoughts on how difficult it is, if there are any pitfalls, or areas I should be concerned with? Any tips, recommendations, suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thalasso

Commander
Re: How to Install a Windlass

My suggestion is if you have to ask ( which you should) i would have someone do it. There is more to it then meets the eye.

Go here and in the users manual under power and sail open the pdf for the Freedom windless and go to page 16.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=maxwell+windless

Last edited:

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You absolutely want the foot pedal remotes on the bow; I use those more than the remote switch mounted at the helm.

Need to run pretty thick cable back to a 60 amp breaker that feeds from some kind of solenoid that is connected to the battery.

My windlass motor actually broke one of the posts and even just replacing the motor, which is underneath in the anchor locker, laying on your stomach trying to reach both hands in the locker was a challenge to say the least. I'm not even sure how I would get to the foot pedals that are on the opposite side of the deck from the anchor locker if I have a problem with those.

Thalasso might be right in leaving it to pros who might know the tricks and shortcuts to make it go smoother.

Mark

wakerider09

Seaman

Thanks for the input. Any thoughts on which windlass brand would be suitable for this style of boat? Horizontal or vertical windlass?

If it helps I'll be boating in water depths of approx. 20-40'.

Thanks.

ems1ed

Cadet

Hi everyone, looking for some info. I have a 1999 Doral 250 SE that I will be installing a horizontal Lewmar Pro Fish 1000 on her this spring. My question is... She is already pre-wired for a windlass and I can't find the tail end of the wires that have been run from the anchor locker into the engine compartment. The "Windlass" switch on the helm is all pre-wired also. Those wires run into the wiring harness and down to the engine compartment also. The thing is, I have no idea where they lead to. They must be going to the "controller" wherever that is. Can someone shed some light on this so that I can find all the wiring in my engine compartment. Thanks a bunch!!!

Ed...

Last edited:

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Windlass wiring can change in gauge, so the 12 gauge wiring you are most likely looking at on the switch can turn into 6 gauge in the harness then back to 10 or 12 on the windlass. Right or wrong, this is the way my Powerwinch 450 installation instructions are designed.

ems1ed

Cadet

The Lewmar installation instructions state 0-23 ft of run from windlass to the solenoid and to the battery should be 6 gauge and wiring from the switch to the solenoid should be 16 gauge. My problem though is finding the pre-wired wires from the bow leading int0 the engine compartment.

jc55

Hard to trace over the net unfortunately...I use these...

41qsKpUZDFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

jc55

Fox and Hound type of wire tracer. It transmits a tone over the wire you're trying to chase down. You can locate it on the other end with the wand. I've used them over a couple thousand feet feet easily.

ems1ed

Cadet

Fox and Hound type of wire tracer. It transmits a tone over the wire you're trying to chase down. You can locate it on the other end with the wand. I've used them over a couple thousand feet feet easily.

Thanks jc55... Just ordered one off of amazon...!!!

ems1ed

Cadet

Howdy... My 1999 250 SE has all the wiring pre-installed in the anchor locker for a windlass. It also has the windlass switch on the helm with all the wiring hooked up behind the console. I was just wondering if anybody knows if I just need to hook up the windlass at the bow and everything else is ready to go??? I can't find the circuit breaker or contactor anywhere in the engine compartment. There's a small black box in the engine compartment on the wall near the batteries that sorta looks like the contactor that came with my Lewmar Pro Fish 1000, but I'm not sure if that's it. There are large guage red and black wires attached to it but they lead into the grey plastic box with the breakers on top of it just under the helm in the engine compartment. None of the breakers say "windlass". So confused... Please help!!!

Thanks

Ed

Last edited:

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Howdy... My 1999 250 SE has all the wiring pre-installed in the anchor locker for a windlass. It also has the windlass switch on the helm with all the wiring hooked up behind the console. I was just wondering if anybody knows if I just need to hook up the windlass at the bow and everything else is ready to go??? I can't find the circuit breaker or contactor anywhere in the engine compartment. There's a small black box in the engine compartment on the wall near the batteries that sorta looks like the contactor that came with my Lewmar Pro Fish 1000, but I'm not sure if that's it. There are large guage red and black wires attached to it but they lead into the grey plastic box with the breakers on top of it just under the helm in the engine compartment. None of the breakers say "windlass". So confused... Please help!!!

Thanks

Ed

you ever solve this and complete the task? I realize it is an older thread but rather than starting new just responded to this, as it is something I am looking at for salt water use , typically anchoring 35-65 plus the tide swing and additional line out, currently have 50 chain and 200 line

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
you ever solve this and complete the task? I realize it is an older thread but rather than starting new just responded to this, as it is something I am looking at for salt water use , typically anchoring 35-65 plus the tide swing and additional line out, currently have 50 chain and 200 line

Yes, it's old and he left the building. Start a thread!

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.