trim tab questions

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
2004 Sea Ray 240 Select - 496 Merc / Bravo I

Previous issues with out-drive oil leaking and no water pumping have been repaired at the dealer before sale.

See attached photos!
The right trim plate is missing. According to the sea ray manual it is a 10x12 plate. I called a sea-ray dealer and they said a new one is about 250.00 for the part alone.

Is this trim system automatic? Could I ride the boat without the replacement plate? The closest plate replacement I could locate on ebay was:

Bennett 10 x 12 M120 Sport Tab Trim Plane Assembly TPAM120 | eBay

This one has a different design however it looks like the hinge plate has the same 4 mounting bolts so I was thinking of just installing the plate only?

right trim tab.jpgleft trim tab.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: trim tab questions

Inspect that hull closely, boats never come with just one tab.The left pic shows a missing tab plus the actuator and mount.The right pic shows nothing ,like it never was installed in the first place .or cosmetically repaired hull.
with the actuators ,the system is electric/ hydrolic for up and down settings. Google Bennet trim systems, or Boat Levelor systems

Last edited:

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Both pictures were taken on the same day. The right photo is just a closer shot of the left side for comparing.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

alright, that's better. check to see if the tab and actuator were torn off or removed. Should be a plastic hose inside the boat that went to the actuator coming from the hyd pump.

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

called Bennett and gave them the sea ray part number. Said they could manufacture me a brand new factory replacement one for about 200.00 so I guess I have to do that as long as the rest of the system is good.

Question is though can I use the boat without this trim system? As long as I dont make adjustments it should not be in use correct?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Kinda makes you wonder what happened to the right side tab, doesn't it?

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

You can run the boat without the Trim Tab, but I would really recommend replacing it first. You may damage the remaining actuator (ram) running without the Trim Plane. Also, you will need to replace the mounting plates also the transom or you may lose the Trim Plane again.

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

ya I have no clue how it fell off. I had someone tell me they have knocked them off before while loading boats up with the fork lifts cause they left them down.

Then again we found with this boat that the previous owner destroyed the ujoints and gimbal bearing by running the outdrive all the way up.. All that stuff has been replaced now though.

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Deleted...

Last edited: