Stiff Steering Cable

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am sure this has been asked many times but I didn't fair well with the search feature. I have a 17 foot 1988 Bass Hawk with a 1975 85 hp Johnson motor, the steering cables are very stiff. I really don't know the type of cable it has but on the steering wheel end it has teeth that move the cable. It has two cables but I have only one hooked to the motor.

Does anyone have a way to lub the cable or do I have to replace it. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Stiff Steering Cable

I am sure this has been asked many times but I didn't fair well with the search feature. I have a 17 foot 1988 Bass Hawk with a 1975 85 hp Johnson motor, the steering cables are very stiff. I really don't know the type of cable it has but on the steering wheel end it has teeth that move the cable. It has two cables but I have only one hooked to the motor.

Does anyone have a way to lub the cable or do I have to replace it. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

:welcome: to iboats

Could sure use some pics of what your setup is. We could make a guess but pics help a bunch

SigSaurP229

Commander

Sounds like you have a rack and pinion steering. There is no real way to lube them up other than where the steering slides into a tilt tube which really isn't the problem. Sounds like the steering is worn out and you are due for replacement.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

It's probably not your cable rather the tube where the steering rod slides in and out. They get completely corroded and full of gunk over the years. Tear it apart and clean it up with your shotgun cleaning kit using a bore brush and swabs with solvent. Lube it up and put it back together. Come back if your having troubles.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Teleflex-Morse have a www and have been manufacturing these systems for many years. Answer questions. Very helpful. Nice folks.

Mark

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get some pictures tomorrow. I will try what Watermann said, I will let you know how that goes. Thanks again.

Jim

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got out there today and started on the cable, I drilled a small hole in the case of the cable so I could get some oil forced in. With the help of my wife and some working the cable back and forth the oil slowly soaked in. I used my compressor to force the oil into the hole, it was kinda messy but it did go in. After a while it did get easier to steer, now I can steer with one finger. It still isn't quite as easy as it should be but it better than it was, by far.

Now on to other things on the boat. I appreciate the help you guys gave me.

BigJim

Bondo

Staff member

I got out there today and started on the cable, I drilled a small hole in the case of the cable so I could get some oil forced in. With the help of my wife and some working the cable back and forth the oil slowly soaked in. I used my compressor to force the oil into the hole, it was kinda messy but it did go in. After a while it did get easier to steer, now I can steer with one finger. It still isn't quite as easy as it should be but it better than it was, by far.

Now on to other things on the boat. I appreciate the help you guys gave me.

BigJim

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard Jim,.... What ya did, might be a temporary fix, but it'll go bad again,....

Replacin' the cable, or better yet, doin' a helm/ cable Kit is the true cure for yer steerin' problem,...

Good luck,....

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard Jim,.... What ya did, might be a temporary fix, but it'll go bad again,....

Replacin' the cable, or better yet, doin' a helm/ cable Kit is the true cure for yer steerin' problem,...

Good luck,....

Thanks buddy, I appreciate the welcome and advice. I have actually been a member here for a few years but I mostly have read here and solved many of my problems. I will check out the kit you are talking about, if anyone should know, it would be you. Thanks again.

BigJim