What do you like about your tirm tabs?

adruid

Seaman
I would like to add trim tabs to my 1984 Mercruiser 3.0 powered Marathon 22' walkaround. After finding Bennett, Lenco, and Boat Leveler tabs available, I would like to know what owners of these tabs like about them. There are many posts about what people do not like about competitors tabs, but few on what they like about each of the big three. Thanks for your positive input and response!
Craig

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: What do you like about your tirm tabs?

Bennett- well built product with excellent post sales support. 'Tabman' is a Bennett rep and a regular on this forum. I've had them on 2 boats, including the current Four Winns. They work great.

PS - your boat is small enough to also be a candidate for Nauticus Smarttabs, which are quite a bit cheaper than any of the helm adjustable units. Take a look- I used them successfully on a 21' Pro-Line walkaround. They work.

Last edited:

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I love my Bennetts. They have been flawless for 13 seasons. They enjoy an excellent product support reputation from what I hear, but I've never had to use it. Any electromechanical/hydraulic system that works flawlessly for that long in a Marine environment is well-designed and robust, in my opinion.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My Bennet tab has been maintenance free for over 400 hours, and it gets used often. Having any adjustable tab the helps you control the attitude of your hull is a major safety plus and they can save you fuel while improving ride comfort.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I've had Bennett's on every boat I've own. First "upgrade" I've done to very boat .

Boat levelers are Bennett knock-offs from what I can see.

You couldn't give me a pair of Lenco. Electric motors and water don't mix. Best friend replaced both of his over the last 12 months. The last one frozen in the full down position 60 miles off Hatteras. No way to retract. Long.....slow rise home.

Last edited:

I have the boat leveler brand on my '84, the pump was original and lasted until just last year. They get my heavy SeaRay up on plane quickly and level her out at all speeds with no problems.

I haven't messed with Bennett tabs, but from reading the forums here and at Club SeaRay, they have excellent customer service through "Tabman".

I wasn't able to find any customer service numbers for my Boat Leveler brand.

If it was a clean install I would go with Bennett.

Streffpilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have Smart Tabs.

Major improvement in hole shot. Boat just rockets out of the water.

Totally different boat in rough water. Before, I would get nervous in 1'-1.5' chop, but after the tabs, accidentally got cought out in 3.5'-4' waves, I mean really rough water, and it handled so much better, was able to keep some reasonable speed and control.

Some folks say that they get a few more mph out of the top end with tabs, but I haven't been in a situation to confirm this.

I am actually thinking about going to a higher pitch prop since the tabs, as the hole shot is so much better, and I have some extra rpms I could use up at the top end.

My boat is a 1988 StarCraft Select 170 with a relatively shallow v, and a shallow rise to the bow (forgot what that is called) to me, it looks like the hull of a bass style boat. Iv got a 1973 Mercury Thunderbolt 1150 (115 hp) with a Solas Rubex 17" pitch 4 blade aluminum prop.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

If you have a boat bigger than 18' +/- on big water you should be smarter than auto-tabs. That leaves Bennett and Lenco. I had Bennetts on several boats with few minor problems. My current boat -- decided no more pumps and fluid and went to Lenco as they are electric. That was in '06 and I'll never go back. You cannot go wrong with either but look real hard at Lenco.

adruid

Seaman

Thanks for the helpful responses to all! It seems like this is the average "vote" for the big three manufacturers in the random postings I have read throughout the net. I am still interested in ALL responses, so please make your voice be heard if you haven't posted yet! The number of responses is very impressive. This forum has a great number of devoted and active boaters- an asset to us all!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

I've bought two 20+ year old boats with Bennetts, no problems and when it came time to put some on the Carver I went with Bennetts, mostly based on the service/help that Tabman gave me which included him drawing install clearances on the pic of the transom I posted.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Bennett. I have been with companies that installed hundreds of Bennett tabs and I'm pretty sure that's the only thing we never had a warranty call on.

MRS

Commander

I have heavy 19ft. put Bennett SLT 10 on and Wow what a difference. Never have to stand up now to see over the bow best thing I added to the boat. Plus only springs in them so nothing to leak out should last a long time.

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Adruid, are you trying to fix a problem. The 3.0 I/O (635 LBS and 135 HP) on a 22' 1984 walkaround sounds borderline on power. Is it your hole shot or running conditions that needs help. I put a set of Bennett's on my 20 Proline w/150 Merc OB, to level it after load or wind shifts under way, to hold plane a little longer at lower speeds (pulling tubes) and to slow trolling speed at idle. They are not needed on my hull/engine setup for my hole shot, I hit plan fully loaded faster than I can work the tabs.
If you need hole shot (getting on plane) help then a manual spring loaded setup could work, if you want complete control, hole shot and running then helm adjustable' s are needed. I personally like Bennetts, had them on three of many boats in the past years. I never had a tab failure on any of them.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

I also have Bennett Trim Tabs and can't say enough good about them. They have the boat get on plane faster, make it ride better, and allow me to control listing.

adruid

Seaman

Thanks Folks! All of the postings have addressed thoughts/concerns I have had on adding tabs. This is exactly what I was looking to hear. Yes, one of the manufacturers is mentioned more than the others, and given distinct recommendation. Each respondent has expressed a unique viewpoint. What more could I have hoped for? You folks are the best! I sincerely appreciate your feedback and viewpoints. I will do my best with your good advice.
Craig

adruid

Seaman
I ended up with the Bennett hydraulics, they have made all the difference in the world to my boat. It plains easily, is easy to stabilize with different loads, and brings the bow to right where I like it. Just fishing, but a lot more stable!

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Not into making snap decisions, are you? :D

Glad they're working for you.

(are you really a Druid)?

adruid

Seaman
Haha! Well, they were installed in August of 2014. Just thought I'd add an update for anyone still thinking about this subject.

(As a person of Celtic background with a last name bearing the Middle English substitution of two "t's" for the old "d" sound; I've had fun with it. Nature still exerts a strong draw...) :friendly_wink: