Blower ventilation.

salister

Cadet
Okay guys I know this has been beat to death, I've read enough. But considering the blower is literally the life or death component it wont hurt to double check with you guys. I have a Sanger Direct drive with what as far as I think is a merc 350. If i know my chevys thats what it is. But maybe its a 305...

Anyways, the ventilation on the blower is trashed. Its completely torn on one side and the other side is torn but you cannot see in the pic. Now the direction on the blower which you cannot see is an arrow pointing to the side which looks connected but there is tear on the bottom where you cannot see.

So the obvious is that the starboard side should be fixed to vent out any fumes from the doghouse. But my question about the port side is Why would you want to have the blower connected to a vent from the stern to go into the dog house, (which sits right above the gas tank BTW) through the blower then back out towards the stern? The boat has two fresh air ram air ports in the front that go right down into the front of the dog house. Obviously this is functional while underway but when sitting and just starting up, wouldnt the ideal situation be to have the blower open on that port side to suck any fumes out to the stern via the starboard? Im just confused and dont see why I should fix that port side duct. PLease if its needed, school me. Im ready to get the boat on the water.

bigger.jpeg

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Blower ventilation.

... But my question about the port side is Why would you want to have the blower connected to a vent from the stern to go into the dog house, (which sits right above the gas tank BTW) through the blower then back out towards the stern?...

Just to be sure I understand your question - you are saying that that is a closed loop? Sounds like someone took the intake end and connected it to an open ram if that's the case. You want the intake end of the blower line down in the engine compartment to suck in vapors and then expel them outside the boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you want the blower motor or motors to suck air out of the bilge and blow them out the vent.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

salister, Do you see any indications that there was a 2nd blower???
Is there a swim platform???
How about some more info on the boat.
Strange setup, fresh air intakes and a third coming in from the stern.

salister

Cadet

Just to be sure I understand your question - you are saying that that is a closed loop? Sounds like someone took the intake end and connected it to an open ram if that's the case. You want the intake end of the blower line down in the engine compartment to suck in vapors and then expel them outside the boat.

It certainly looks like its closed loop, The blower is mounted above the transmission and I cannot see another blower. It all appears as if this is how it came from factory so i am not sure why it would have a closed loop blower setup.

This is 1992 Sanger Direct Drive ski boat.

salister

Cadet

salister, Do you see any indications that there was a 2nd blower???
Is there a swim platform???
How about some more info on the boat.
Strange setup, fresh air intakes and a third coming in from the stern.

I cannot find another blower
there is a built in swim platform

I tried finding a manual for this boat but I was told that this boat never came with a a manual. My best bet would to be look one up for mercruiser. Not sure if I would find info on the blower set up though.

hungupthespikes

Took some time to go to their website. Lots of factory tour videos, impressive, very nice boats. A great/fun boat for an active family.

swag would be to help the circulation/dissipating of exhaust fumes under the platform when not underway, sure you thought of that.
Sounds like a phone call to Sanger would be in order.
With all the old salts on here, your could get the answers by days end.
huts

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

a larger version of that layout pic would probably do wonders.

salister

Cadet

I tried making it bigger hence why I named it bigger but doesn't seem like I know what I am doing.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Definitely call Sanger, or send them an email. Usually they will answer your question. There is also a Sanger group on Facebook you can consult. On my D-drive Sanger there are two intake air vents at the windshield base to provide fresh air and a single blower fan on the starboard side that blows air out two vents above the transom. It's much newer than yours however. Having a fan sucking air in from the transom area is a mistake as your exhaust can get picked up from that site and can contain combustable products. Perhaps a fan was installed backwards by an previous mistaken owner.
You only need to extract fumes from the bilge. Fresh air will find its way in to replace what you suck out.

hungupthespikes

On my D-drive Sanger there are two intake air vents at the windshield base to provide fresh air and a single blower fan on the starboard side that blows air out two vents above the transom.

There we go!!!! Hey rallart, how is the blower with one outlet run to two vents? "Y" connector??? "T"????
Is it something that HD/Lowes would have??? Or is it the $150.00 ones they use for the motor exhaust???

Boy that sounds like the OP just scraped it out, leaving salister high and dry.
huts

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

On mine the blower runs into a plastic manifold that runs above the rear ski locker and then has two flat vents that face the rear at the transom. The idea behind the two vents and manifold is to maximize the vertical height in the locker. Handy because I've got a 300# tube sac in mine so it uses all the height filled with water. Mine is newer so his might have been designed differently.

salister

Cadet

Definitely call Sanger, or send them an email. Usually they will answer your question. There is also a Sanger group on Facebook you can consult. On my D-drive Sanger there are two intake air vents at the windshield base to provide fresh air and a single blower fan on the starboard side that blows air out two vents above the transom. It's much newer than yours however. Having a fan sucking air in from the transom area is a mistake as your exhaust can get picked up from that site and can contain combustable products. Perhaps a fan was installed backwards by an previous mistaken owner.

You only need to extract fumes from the bilge. Fresh air will find its way in to replace what you suck out.

I pretty much figured that. I was just trying to connect the dots on my broken ventilation ductwork. If your sanger exits out both back vents then i would imagine so should mine. Do you have a picture of this. Is their a ypipe? Im starting to think mine is jerry rigged to function. It should as its set up, but leaving the port side non functional.

I've tried the sanger group, Sanger nation, and wakeworld. Havent got any responses from anyone. Figured Id try a forum where people work on their boats instead of just pay 800 a month then take them to the shop for everything. I think I like it here. BTW.