Corrosion - New Galvanic Isolator worth installing?

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
So many of you may have been following my corrosion issue, but after I failed to locate a galvanic isolator on my boat, I paid the marina mechanics ~$140 to look into the panel and verify there isnt' one there. They verified, and I ordered a new ProMariner ProSafe FS 30amp.

So, I go to install it behind the panel, and I followed the green line to the inlet JUST to make sure my diagram was right, and sure as ship I found a galvanic isolator behind the shore power inlet.

So aside from the ~$150 bill from the marina (which is another story), I'm wondering if I should return the ProSafe FS and leave the stock galvanic isolator in, or (and I suppose here's where I get to my question) will the new ProSafe FS do a better job at protecting the boat? or are these simple devices that do their job if they're installed and that's all to it?

worth mentioning, is to replace the stock isolator I will have to rip and saw a TON of stuff out (see my previous thread about access panels that some asshat 5200'd to the boat).

Thanks crew!

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Corrosion - New Galvanic Isolator worth installing?

A Galvanic Isolator is close to the simplest electrical device you can buy.
It is just a pair of back to back Diodes. There is not much difference between them other than the cosmetics of the case.

Your question on replacing it should be bases on whether the current one is working or not.

The Test....

Unplug all shore power connectors. No need to de-wire the Isolator.
Set your multimeter to ohms/continuity.
Measure across the end terminals of the Isolator* and note the reading.
Now, reverse the test leads and measure it again. Note the reading.

If the two reading a similar i.e. 937 and 893 you are good. Return the new one.
If either, or both, readings are Zero or OPEN. Install the new one.
Measure the new one so you know what the readings should look like.
They may be significantly different between the two isolators, but the measurements will be similar in each direction.

*** Without disassembling the boat, the terminals of the isolator can be measured by attaching one Meter Lead to the Ground pin of the shore power connector and the other Lead to the Ground pin of any electrical outlet on the boat.

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Corrosion - New Galvanic Isolator worth installing?

A Galvanic Isolator is close to the simplest electrical device you can buy.
It is just a pair of back to back Diodes. There is not much difference between them other than the cosmetics of the case.

Your question on replacing it should be bases on whether the current one is working or not.

The Test....

Unplug all shore power connectors. No need to de-wire the Isolator.
Set your multimeter to ohms/continuity.
Measure across the end terminals of the Isolator* and note the reading.
Now, reverse the test leads and measure it again. Note the reading.

If the two reading a similar i.e. 937 and 893 you are good. Return the new one.
If either, or both, readings are Zero or OPEN. Install the new one.
Measure the new one so you know what the readings should look like.
They may be significantly different between the two isolators, but the measurements will be similar in each direction.

*** Without disassembling the boat, the terminals of the isolator can be measured by attaching one Meter Lead to the Ground pin of the shore power connector and the other Lead to the Ground pin of any electrical outlet on the boat.

I've been searching for testing methods, and all of them involve using a sodium chloride hoodag to test the mojo in the water, but I REALLY want to test everything *before* I plop it in the water so I know if I have an issue. This test is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

I. Love you.